Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone plan on working during law school?

kvbusbeekvbusbee Member
edited July 2017 in General 99 karma

Some of you might be like me out there and are unmarried, will be receiving no help from parents, and are fully self-funding. I'm expecting to take out loans to live on, but is anyone planning on working to help subsidize expenses? Even if it's only like ten hours per week? I know the ABA has rules about not working more than 20 hours per week, and some schools ban you from working your 1L year. I've tried to do some online research on the schools I'm interested in but can't seem to find their rules on working while in school (I plan on reaching out to their admissions' departments). Does anyone know if this ban is pretty common across schools?

During college I waited tables at a nice restaurant on Friday and Saturday nights and would usually make $300-$400 per weekend. Even this small amount could really help with expenses.

Just curious as to what everyone else's plans were?

Comments

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

I've thought about this myself. I waited tables (still do) throughout undergrad. Besides pushing for scholarships, I plan to have a ton of money saved up (I pay all of my bills except cell) heading into 1L. I also plan to upgrade my car so that I can Uber or Lyft during law school.

I plan to be in a large city during school so I feel like that is an easy way to make some weekend cash. Heck I could do it on weekday nights if I have some spare time. I feel like that may be one of the bests ways to make some money without having to commit to 10-15 hours a week during school. You can literally do it whenever you want to. Heard of plenty of people making some really good money Ubering.

• kvbusbeekvbusbee Member
    99 karma

@akeegs92 I hadn't thought about Uber and Lyft, but your're right, that's also a good part time option, especially for some of the schools in larger cities I'll be applying to. Thanks!

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

Anytime! I guess you could try to serve while in school, but as we servers know, scheduling depends heavily on the restaurant bosses and how much commitment they need from you. Some don't care if you work weekends only and some do. Happy to help!

• kvbusbeekvbusbee Member
    99 karma

@akeegs92 Yes, most restaurants definitely take advantage of their servers and overwork you even if have pre-agreed arrangements with them. I'd have to find the right place. The place I worked at in undergrad was small and family owned, and they had servers that only worked during the week, and another set that only worked weekends. I'd have to find something like that again to do it.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Yeah, even with the ABA rule, depending on how much free time I have I will probably still do a bit of some day trading or something finance related on the side.