Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Increase score from June to September

heatherfaithxxheatherfaithxx Free Trial Member
in General 13 karma

Hi guys! I didn't do as well as I wanted to on the June lsat. I am looking to increase about 6-8 points by September, but I am kinda of stumped how to do so. I worked with a private tutor for almost a year and I feel like I have learned kind of up to my capacity, and now I am just irritated and do not know how to study from here. Any advice?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Depends on where you are missing those points?

What was the breakdown of your last PT as well a the BR?

• heatherfaithxxheatherfaithxx Free Trial Member
    13 karma

Depends on where you are missing those points?

What was the breakdown of your last PT as well a the BR?

My last PT i got a 159 and BR at 163. I score anywhere on my PTs from 158-163 without BR. Im not shooting to go to an Ivy league school. If i can get a 162 on the test I'll be satisfied because I'm clearly not going to score much higher.
    I got 20/25 on LR
    20/27 on RC
    15/25 on LR
    17/23 on LG

Overall, I have been shooting for 5-7 questions wrong. On my real LSAT I got 12 and 10 wrong on the first 2 Sections (LR and RC) and then 7 and 5 wrong on LR and LG. I couldn't find the room for the test, and I got there nervous and sweaty so something tells me the first two sections I really just had a freak out before them.

Any advice? I feel my self lagging and just getting upset. > @"Alex Divine" said:

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I think getting the 162 goal by September is doable.

First, if you haven't already, begin fool proofing logic games. Get that down to -0. You can absolutely do that. And that will get you that 162 right there.

As for LR, you definitely need some work. I would suggest getting the starter package 7Sage offers if only to go through the core curriculum on LR, conditional logic, and games.

If you feel yourself lagging and stressing, don't feel alone. I know exactly how you feel and I am honestly feeling that way recently.... Always remember, September isn't the last chance to take the test. December is..... That's a joke. But seriously, even December isn't the last chance. So if you aren't scoring at 162+ by September, cancel and take in December. At the very least it will take the stress off of you that you're feeling.

Anyway, what do you think you are your issues with LR? Perhaps you have not such a great grasp on conditional logic, which essentially undergirds the structure of the questions.
    Are there certain question types you are missing in LR?

13 karma

Are there downfalls of taking the test in December? Like does this put me behind for applying to schools? Also how do I buy this core curriculum? Also, do you think I should continue with my tutor or work alone? I get the most flaw and necessary assumption questions wrong. I also hardcore struggled with the reading comprehension on the June test.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited July 2017 23929 karma

@heatherfaithxx said:
    Are there downfalls of taking the test in December? Like does this put me behind for applying to schools? Also how do I buy this core curriculum? Also, do you think I should continue with my tutor or work alone? I get the most flaw and necessary assumption questions wrong. I also hardcore struggled with the reading comprehension on the June test.

Downfalls? No, you wont be on the earliest side of things, but you also won't be late. December is perfectly fine. Furthermore, taking in December, even if you only increase your score by a point or two, make its worth the wait.

You can purchase the course here: https://7sage.com/enroll/ You will want to begin likely with the starter course for $179. It will include all you need to succeed!

How long have you been working with this tutor? If it's been some time, maybe you two aren't "clicking" so to speak. It happens. You may want to check out some of 7Sage's tutors or someone else entirely or begin to self study using the 7Sage course. I think you'll really love it. It enjoys the highest ratings of any LSAT course out there and it is also the most affordable. The community here is awesome, kind, helpful and always here for support if you need it!

RE: Flaw and NA questions and RC. That is a lot to cover and it could literally be a infinite number of issues when it comes to having problems with those three things. I suggest checking out the course. If your tutor isn't helping with things like Flaw and NA, then perhaps it is time to look for a new tutor, haha.

In any case, you've got plenty of time before both Sept and Dec to raise your score a few more points. Again, even if you just focus on getting better at LG and LR, you'll likely be able to hit the mid 160s.

For assumption family questions in LR, aside from understanding sufficiency and neccessity, you need to be able to weed through the excess verbiage in the stimulus and identify the argument core with surgical precision, identify the conclusion first then the reasoning and figure out why the premises do not completely substantiate the conclusion (there will always be at least one reason, there has to be). If you're able to pre-phase an answer it'll make it easier for you to identify the correct answer, that said don't fall in the trap of eliminating wrong answer choices because they don't match up with the answer you pre-phased. The arguments almost always have many reasoning issues and sometimes the correct answer choice will either be one that you did not anticipate or if it is it may be worded in a different way so be cognizant of that too. Also, one important thing when eliminating wrong answer choices work from wrong to right, not vice versa. A skeptical state of mind is imperative to doing well on this test, especially when eliminating answer choices. Usually there are 1 or 2 blatantly wrong answer choices which that you can eliminate pretty quickly. Of the remaining choices, the wrong answers will often contain a quantifier/modifier like "most" that extends the scope of the argument or something, so play close attention to stuff like that, one word can make an otherwise seemingly correct answer incorrect. Come up with one reason for why an answer choice is incorrect, if you can't don't eliminate it because it could be the correct answer. If you blindly eliminate an answer choice which turns out to be the correct answer, it's going to make it that much harder for you to evaluate and address your thought process when you were answering that question.

For flaw questions, keeping a mental note of all the cookie-cutter flaws that 7Sage provided in list of in one of the flaw lessons really helped me.

I hope this is at least enough to get you started!

Good luck and don't stress!

13 karma

Thank you I am going to purchase the starter pack. Also, how do I get a tutor on 7sage?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@heatherfaithxx said:
    Thank you I am going to purchase the starter pack. Also, how do I get a tutor on 7sage?

Sounds like an excellent idea!

Here are a list of the official 7Sage tutors:

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/4760/7sages-approved-tutors/p1