Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help with prephrasing

nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
in General 1723 karma

So i have been at the LSAT for awhile now. I see the benefits of prephrasing im just really having a hard time employing it on a large part of the test.
Does anyone have any drills or methods they used to help them "work out" their prephrase muscles? Mindset?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@nathanieljschwartz said:
    So i have been at the LSAT for awhile now. I see the benefits of prephrasing im just really having a hard time employing it on a large part of the test.
    Does anyone have any drills or methods they used to help them "work out" their prephrase muscles? Mindset?

Can you elaborate a bit on what's giving you trouble? Essentially you want to understand the question stem, read the stimulus, and then know what you're looking for in an answer. The thing is what you're going to be looking for differs on the question type. So there's really no panacea of general advice, at least in my opinion when it comes to pre-phrasing answers.

Also keep in mind some questions are very hard to pre phrase for at all. Whereas others lend themselves better to pre-phrasing.

Once you give me some more info on what exactly the issue is, I'll hopefully be able to provide some useful advice.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@nathanieljschwartz have you checked out the webinar on anticipating answer choices?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@tanes256 said:
    @nathanieljschwartz have you checked out the webinar on anticipating answer choices?

Good call! Here it is and it is certainly worth the watch: https://7sage.com/webinar/jimmy-anticipating/

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

I have watched it, and it definitly shed some light. Thanks!!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I have watched it, and it definitly shed some light. Thanks!!

My only advice to add: Be flexible with your pre-phrasing and don't rely on them too heavily. I think sometimes we can get trapped by them and close our minds off. Often on the LSAT the right choice isn't a "good" choice, it's just the one that's not wrong. Those types of questions are hard to have much a pre phrase for, unfortunately.

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

Thank you so much for saying that. Ive seen that a number of times. I will narrow down to the only plausible answer and ill get pissed bc its a crappy answer even though it is correct

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Thank you so much for saying that. Ive seen that a number of times. I will narrow down to the only plausible answer and ill get pissed bc its a crappy answer even though it is correct

Yup... Haha. I think one lesson that's important to learn with LR and RC, too, is that you're not looking for the traditional right answer you may find on your college history class. the one where you're like, yup, definitely (c) War of 1812. It's more nuanced and often the right answer is simply right because it isn't wrong, lol. At least that's one way to think about it. If that can make any sense to you.