Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to use the LR drill packets

Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
edited July 2017 in Logical Reasoning 1091 karma

Hey guys,

Looking for pointers on how you guys use the LR drill packets. What have you found helpful?

Since we only have a finite number of 'fresh' questions from PT 1-35 I don't want to squander my packets needlessly. I'm at the stage where I really only need to reinforce some fundamental strategies (like looking for weak claims among NA answer choices etc.) and solidify my trust in my intuitions.

So say I want to work on RRE questions having bombed an easy one during a PT. To reinforce my approach I revisit the CC, work through the example RRE questions again with JY (the ones before the problem sets). What do you guys do after this point? Problem sets? Drill packets?

At the moment we've got 3 and a half LR packets covering PT 1-35. In the first group (1-9) there is something like 20+ RRE questions. As a drill "session" would you burn through all 20+ of these RRE questions? Would you do fewer of them and do them in more detail? Do them timed or untimed? Do only do the harder ones (I don't even know if they're arranged by difficulty in the drill packets)?

Sorry this is dense and I hope it makes sense :)

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Rigid Designator" said:
    Hey guys,

Looking for pointers on how you guys use the LR drill packets. What have you found helpful?

Since we only have a finite number of 'fresh' questions from PT 1-35 I don't want to squander my packets needlessly. I'm at the stage where I really only need to reinforce some fundamental strategies (like looking for weak claims among NA answer choices etc.) and solidify my trust in my intuitions.

So say I want to work on RRE questions having bombed an easy one during a PT. To reinforce my approach I revisit the CC, work through the example RRE questions again with JY (the ones before the problem sets). What do you guys do after this point? Problem sets? Drill packets?

At the moment we've got 3 and a half LR packets covering PT 1-35. In the first group (1-9) there is something like 20+ RRE questions. As a drill "session" would you burn through all 20+ of these RRE questions? Would you do fewer of them and do them in more detail? Do them timed or untimed? Do only do the harder ones (I don't even know if they're arranged by difficulty in the drill packets)?

Sorry this is dense and I hope it makes sense :)

I do them until I fix my issue with them [the question type] So recently, when the drill packets were released, I was previously using Cambridge, which for all intents and purposes, are basically the same. Anyway, I was having trouble with Parallel Flaw questions. It took me several days and probably 30 unique problems before I made the improvement I was happy with. I found out I was weak in certain logic forms, reviewed those, and just drilled until I realize "Ok, seems like I worked out what was messing me up..." I also did basically all of them twice and some three or four times. Especially if they were more difficult. However, I usually do the problem sets first before using the drill packets. Just because they have explanations afterwards and I always found after I BR'd my answer that those helped me immensely.

Timed vs untimed. Well I think this depends on where you are. As I always say, keep in the back of your head that we ultimately need to get good at taking a timed 4 hour test, right? So timing is very important. However, if we are seriously struggling with things or just learning them, I think timing can be detrimental and lead to forming bad habits. If you know how to do RRE questions and are having a bit of an issue with them, I would continue to do them under timed conditions and then blind review them. Also don't be afraid to do some timed and some untimed. There's no right or wrong answer with some of these timing questions. I just always like to keep track of time with this count up timer: http://www.online-stopwatch.com/large-stopwatch/ just so I know where I'm at. At the very least it will serve as a benchmark.

For example, when first learning LG, I would use a count up timer and keep track of how long I was taking. I didn't want to time myself while learning because, well, I sucked and it would only cause me to rush, mess up, and ultimately not improve. Once I could do most of the games untimed and around 10 minutes, I moved to doing them timed.

good luck!