Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fool proof method

RT2011AMDGRT2011AMDG Alum Member
in Logic Games 6 karma

In the Fool Proof Method for LG in the CC, step 6 tells us to write down all inferences from memory. What exactly does this mean in practice? For every game I'm not perfect at -- I take another clean copy, and go through the game and simply write down what I remember? Am I not reading the questions; just jotting down what I recall?

Comments

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

I think the intention of that step is to create the most complete game set up you can.

I think, in practice, you just do the entire game over again, including the questions, but you really try to squeeze out inferences and think deeply about the game instead of just brute forcing your way through it.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@RT2011AMDG said:
    In the Fool Proof Method for LG in the CC, step 6 tells us to write down all inferences from memory. What exactly does this mean in practice? For every game I'm not perfect at -- I take another clean copy, and go through the game and simply write down what I remember? Am I not reading the questions; just jotting down what I recall?

No, you read the question. You're just trying to write the inferences down from memory meaning you're not fumbling around, confused, trying to re-figure out the inferences in the first place. Example being if there is a game where there is an inference that G and H can't go in the same group because of some reason, you want to remember that without having to go through all the reasons why.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@RT2011AMDG said:

No, you read the question. You're just trying to write the inferences down from memory meaning you're not fumbling around, confused, trying to re-figure out the inferences in the first place. Example being if there is a game where there is an inference that G and H can't go in the same group because of some reason, you want to remember that without having to go through all the reasons why.

Don't mean to hijack, but I think my question also relates to inferences so it may benefit the OP as well.

When you see a game, are you memorizing the game pieces? Some of the games have many pieces, and when I leave the stimulus I don't know them all by heart. When I want to identify floaters/free pieces, I find it difficult unless I'm keeping track of the pieces on the side.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@USER123456 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@RT2011AMDG said:

Don't mean to hijack, but I think my question also relates to inferences so it may benefit the OP as well.

When you see a game, are you memorizing the game pieces? Some of the games have many pieces, and when I leave the stimulus I don't know them all by heart. When I want to identify floaters/free pieces, I find it difficult unless I'm keeping track of the pieces on the side.

No need to memorize the pieces themselves (in my opinion) You'll have them written out and floaters should be marked. (I circle them like JY). I also read the rules at least 2 times, so by virtue of doing that, I remember the rues/pieces pretty well already.

The inferences and how the pieces interact are what's important and what you want to commit to memory.

For example, if G comes before H, and they need to by separated by exactly 2 spaces,

G __ __ H

and we have a board with 5 spaces, we can infer that G can only go into spots 1 or 2 because otherwise it would push H off the board. Ideally you'd split the board into 2, one with G in spot 1, and the other with G in spot 2. You want to memorize that inference and not have to be re-thinking how that rule will push H off the board if put into any place past spot 2. It's a very basic example, but a common occurrence nonetheless on simple sequencing games.

If they give you the pieces G, H, I, F, and J, I am usually able to just remember them by re-reading the rules and writing them out, writing the rules/inferences, circling floaters, etc. I think that part is secondary though to memorizing the inferences themselves. Remembering the pieces I think will come naturally. If not, you'll always have them written at the top of the page. With a quick glance, it'll never be a problem.

Remember the reason we want to remember those inferences is that they repeat and reappear in various forms. So you may then get a game with 5 spots with Y coming before Z, and Y and Z needing to be exactly 2 space apart. Y __ __ Z

When you see this game, you'll have memorized the inference from the last example game, and automatically be like, "Y must go into spots 1/2, Z in spots 4/5. Bam!

Again, this is a very simplistic example, but I just wanted to demonstrate why memorizing the inferences themselves are what's most important when fool proofing.

I also like to memorize the rules of each individual game by re-reading them 2-3 times. First I just to read them to get an bigger picture understanding of the game. Second time to diagram them. Then usually a third for the standard acceptable situation question. By then the rules/inferences are pretty well instilled in my head. It doesn't mean I don't glance over when needed, but it sure as heck will increase your speed to just know where things can and can't go without having to look/think back multiple times.

Hope this helps!