Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Practice Test Inconsistency:

calcal101calcal101 Alum Member
edited July 2017 in General 582 karma

I have the LSAT Starter course and have completed the CC. I have been practice testing now and am slated to take the test in September.

My PT scores range from 158 (my lowest…today eek) to 176 (last week). My diagnostic was 162; I am very disappointed and frustrated. Is my only chance at succeeding on this test delaying to December? I felt really good last week after the 176 and am now starting to wonder if this just wasn't meant to be for the September date.

My main issue is LR at this point (I want to improve LG, too, but I'm more confident in my ability to fix that on my own). The problem sets and explanations in the Starter course are generally easy for me---rewatching those videos hasn't really helped. Would upgrading for access to harder problem sets be worth it? Is regular tutoring the way to go? I'm willing to spend some money, but I'm also not looking to break the bank here if I can avoid it.

Comments

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

That is a massive swing. How do you feel during the test? Have you ever recorded yourself taking sections?

What is your blind review score? If you are BRing consistently in the upper 170s but your timed tests are fluctuating that much, then you really need to think about your execution strategy. Film yourself and figure out how you're solving problems and allocating time. Especially if LR is your big trouble spot, skipping can be a really important strategy. Watch the skipping webinar.

I think if you want more advice you need to be more specific about the problems you're having. The fact that you can score 176 should give you a lot of hope and motivation to turn that into a consistent score.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@cal270 said:
    I have the LSAT Starter course and have completed the CC. I have been practice testing now and am slated to take the test in September.

My PT scores range from 158 (my lowest…today eek) to 176 (last week). My diagnostic was 162; I am very disappointed and frustrated. Is my only chance at succeeding on this test delaying to December? I felt really good last week after the 176 and am now starting to wonder if this just wasn't meant to be for the September date.

My main issue is LR at this point (I want to improve LG, too, but I'm more confident in my ability to fix that on my own). The problem sets and explanations in the Starter course are generally easy for me---rewatching those videos hasn't really helped. Would upgrading for access to harder problem sets be worth it? Is regular tutoring the way to go? I'm willing to spend some money, but I'm also not looking to break the bank here if I can avoid it.

Wow. scoring a 162 diagnostic and a 176 is amazing! Congrats! Clearly you are talented at this test! I'm not sure if you'll have to delay, but if you can score a 176 you have nothing to worry about, at least in the long run.

A few thing things:

So, first, I think upgrading would absolutely be worth it for you. With the Ult + package you'll get every test, the LG / LR drilling bundles, easy, medium and hardproblem sets, and access to the question bank with like 8000 questions you can sort through by type/difficulty. You seem like the perfect person for it.

Second, I think you should at least consult a 7Sage tutor for a session to figure out where this wildly inconsistent PT scoring. Out of curiosity, what were your respective score break downs on the 158 and 176? What did you blind review those test to?

If you want to improve LG fool proofing the LG bundle that comes with the ult + package is the first thing I would do. While it can be time consuming, your consistency will shoot through the roof.

Last, what do you think is giving you trouble with LR? Is it theory? Specific question types? not getting the conditional logic? It just seems so odd you'd have trouble with these principles with such a high diagnostic and scores in the high 170s. I'd say the 158 or the 176 could have been an outlier, but we'll need some more info before we can infer that.

In any case, please do not be discouraged! Be encouraged and proud of yourself. The average LSAT taker scores about a 152 AFTER prep. Thank god 7Sagers aren't average! ;)

You scored a freakin' 162 on your diagnostic! And you've already made incredible strides. There's not a single doubt in my mind that you will score very well when you're finally ready to sit for the test. Be that in September or December.

Good luck!

• calcal101calcal101 Alum Member
    582 karma

@AllezAllez21 said:
    That is a massive swing. How do you feel during the test? Have you ever recorded yourself taking sections?

What is your blind review score? If you are BRing consistently in the upper 170s but your timed tests are fluctuating that much, then you really need to think about your execution strategy. Film yourself and figure out how you're solving problems and allocating time. Especially if LR is your big trouble spot, skipping can be a really important strategy. Watch the skipping webinar.

I think if you want more advice you need to be more specific about the problems you're having. The fact that you can score 176 should give you a lot of hope and motivation to turn that into a consistent score.

Thanks for your feedback. I tend to feel pretty good during the test (with the exception of the LG section in today's--I just wasn't getting the last 2 games which is obviously a huge issue), but my confidence while testing is worrisome…

My BR scores range between 172 and 175. They're not obscenely high, so I know I should review Lawgic. I also just upgraded to Ultimate+ per Alex's recommendation--I'd already been thinking about it. I think you're skipping recommendation is also good--bookmarking the webinar to watch tomorrow.

• calcal101calcal101 Alum Member
    582 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@cal270 said:

Wow. scoring a 162 diagnostic and a 176 is amazing! Congrats! Clearly you are talented at this test! I'm not sure if you'll have to delay, but if you can score a 176 you have nothing to worry about, at least in the long run.

A few thing things:

So, first, I think upgrading would absolutely be worth it for you. With the Ult + package you'll get every test, the LG / LR drilling bundles, easy, medium and hardproblem sets, and access to the question bank with like 8000 questions you can sort through by type/difficulty. You seem like the perfect person for it.

Second, I think you should at least consult a 7Sage tutor for a session to figure out where this wildly inconsistent PT scoring. Out of curiosity, what were your respective score break downs on the 158 and 176? What did you blind review those test to?

If you want to improve LG fool proofing the LG bundle that comes with the ult + package is the first thing I would do. While it can be time consuming, your consistency will shoot through the roof.

Last, what do you think is giving you trouble with LR? Is it theory? Specific question types? not getting the conditional logic? It just seems so odd you'd have trouble with these principles with such a high diagnostic and scores in the high 170s. I'd say the 158 or the 176 could have been an outlier, but we'll need some more info before we can infer that.

In any case, please do not be discouraged! Be encouraged and proud of yourself. The average LSAT taker scores about a 152 AFTER prep. Thank god 7Sagers aren't average! ;)

You scored a freakin' 162 on your diagnostic! And you've already made incredible strides. There's not a single doubt in my mind that you will score very well when you're finally ready to sit for the test. Be that in September or December.

Good luck!

Thanks, Alex. Read your response and it totally affirmed what I'd already been thinking:
    a) I need to suck it up and pay for Ultimate+
    b) I can't go it alone…and I've booked a tutoring session already

As for struggling with LR, it's specific question types and missing ones that involve more convoluted logic; in particular, my weaknesses are flaw, necessary assumption, RRE, and weaken. I also know that I spend a lot of time on MBT (which should be an easier one). I'm looking forward to working through the harder problem sets now.

Thank you for the encouragement!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@cal270 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@cal270 said:

A few thing things:

Good luck!

Thanks, Alex. Read your response and it totally affirmed what I'd already been thinking:
    a) I need to suck it up and pay for Ultimate+
    b) I can't go it alone…and I've booked a tutoring session already

As for struggling with LR, it's specific question types and missing ones that involve more convoluted logic; in particular, my weaknesses are flaw, necessary assumption, RRE, and weaken. I also know that I spend a lot of time on MBT (which should be an easier one). I'm looking forward to working through the harder problem sets now.

Thank you for the encouragement!

No problem! I'm happy to hear you'll be treating yourself to Ult+ package. Think of it as an investment that you will surely thank yourself for sooner than later. Tutors are also great when you have specific issues/questions like the ones mentioned above. Also, I truly think having access to everything the Ult+ package has will help you begin to iron out those weaknesses as well.

There's no shortcuts or tricks and tips on understanding the more convoluted logic on this exam. I wish I could write a little paragraph with all the secrets, haha.

I suppose I was somewhat fortunate to have minored in philosophy, though, I never felt it got me that far ahead with the specific logic on the LSAT. Revising JY's all lessons on logic and lots of untimed practice was eventually what lead to me having a better understanding of the more complicated logic on the exam. I always preach that ultimately this is a timed test, so we should do as much timed practice as possible, but I also think untimed practice has it's place.

Good luck!