Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Bad Is It to Take 4 Rather than 5 Section LSAT PTs?

CanadianhopefulCanadianhopeful Alum Member
edited September 2014 in General 38 karma
As it says on the box cover really, I'm mostly concerned regarding the endurance difference that comes from taking a 4 vs. 5 section LSAT. I've essentially been building up endurance using 4 sections up till now, with the intent of switching to 5 section LSATs from here on. What kind of score fluctuations and endurance differences should I expect?

Comments

• unrealsimonunrealsimon Alum Member
    edited September 2014 48 karma
    JY said a 4 section should be totally ok, do not concern with the marginal endurance required by an extra 35 min. If you have the time and can get extra sections to put in there, yeah I don't think it's a bad idea to do it though.
  • elvisliveselvislives Alum Member
    97 karma
    When I was just starting out writing PTs I did see (and feel) a difference from switching from 4 to 5 sections in terms of my ability to really concentrate. By the fifth section I could tell that it was a little more difficult to stay zoned in - it took more effort than in the previous sections. After reviewing the test, I could see that I made some slip-ups/misreads of questions a little more often than I would normally (particularly at the end of the section). However, I think it is quite easy to build up your mental stamina if you find yourself in the same boat. So, I would suggest doing a few 5 section tests and gauging where you are at/ how you feel.
  • vandyzachvandyzach Free Trial Member
    358 karma
    I couldn't disagree more (respectfully, of course). Why train for a 10 mile marathon by running 8 miles when you practice?
    358 karma
    Another way to avoid the problem of using up PTs for experimental sections is to use repeat sections for your experimental. Yea, you'll know which one is experimental, but it won't matter, because it's practice and the point is to build up stamina. You're not going to remember all the answers from a section you did three months ago, unless one particular question/ passage terrorized you and you reviewed it for like two hours. When this happens (which hopefully isn't too common), you still get the stamina training, and repeating questions certainly won't hurt you.
    358 karma
    Once again, unless it is a particularly brutal game/question/passage, assuming that I have left enough time in between taking the section the first time and taking it a second time, I find that I don't remember the passage and questions hardly at all and they provide not only great review but also great experimental sections for PTs.

I have no idea how repeating sections leads you to skim. But props for knowing your limits.
  • RM112015RM112015 Free Trial Member
    192 karma
    I have recently wondered the same thing and I feel that maybe recycling a section from old PTs is a good way to not only accurately simulate test day with 5 sections, but also to help you review.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    do a mix... say about 4 - 8 odd PTs with 5 sections ( I would personally err on the side of 4) it helped me peak near exam day. But this is just my personal experience... with no statistical correlation what so ever.
  • kellysmellykellysmelly Alum Member
    edited September 2014 84 karma
    i am a working mom so in general i do 4 sections. i do 5 sections on occasion and i don't see much difference expect when I do 2 reading comp sections. if you are going to doing 5 sections for stamina purposes, i would do 2 reading comps (or whatever section you are worst at so you see more variety and gain more confidence with your worst section).