Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you read the entire passage first or make notes while reading?

jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member

Hey guys!

So I have been struggling with RC, however I was wondering if you guys read the passage first or make notes while reading? I don't know why but I find a hard time trying to read and write at the same time. I would say I am a pretty fast reader and always have been.. but I find it hard to understand the passages when I stop to make notes. Should I make notes after reading the entire passage first or after every paragraph? What has worked for you guys?

RC I would say is my worst section, but I believe I can improve the most on this section since I can usually understand the material pretty well regardless of what the passage is discussing.

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Are you trying to make notes while in the middle of reading a paragraph? I can understand why that would cause you to lose your momentum.

I don't make notes at all, but I can understand why you would make notes after each paragraph/important parts.

Making notes after you've read the entire passage seems futile to me. Most of what you're jotting down is already in your short-term memory.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I jot down a sentence or two after each paragraph just stating the main idea/purpose of the paragraph. Aside from that I don't take any other notes. I implore you to experiment and try different techniques with RC to find out what works for you. If there's one thing I've learned about RC it is that many of the strategies that work for individuals are sometimes idiosyncric.

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Core Member
    2983 karma

Find what works for you. Based on my experience, RC success is based on trial and error. Try as many methods as possible and see which one sticks.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10789 karma

@jennybbbbb said:

I don't know why but I find a hard time trying to read and write at the same time. I would say I am a pretty fast reader and always have been. but I find it hard to understand the passages when I stop to make notes.

You definitely want to shoot for understanding on RC. So if taking notes are giving your trouble do not take notes. Definitely do a low-high resolution summary in your head. Thinking about the passage and connecting ideas helps you comprehend RC better.

Should I make notes after reading the entire passage first or after every paragraph? What has worked for you guys?

I actually wouldn't take any notes. I have a few marking like a star by what I thought was really important or a circle at important words but thats it. Writing anything down means giving up time and time is key on RC. I don't think you need to write down stuff to remember it for the next five minutes when you attempt the questions. If that makes you nervous, practice the memory method and see if you can eventually do it without writing things down.

• jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
    630 karma

@Sami @"Alex Divine" @10000019 @Freddy_D
    Thanks guys! I guess I will have to test out what works for me!

Do you tend to circle any key words or underline anything? What about when identifying the main point of the passage/author?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@jennybbbbb said:
    @Sami @"Alex Divine" @10000019 @Freddy_D

Do you tend to circle any key words or underline anything? What about when identifying the main point of the passage/author?

I personally don't really take many notes or underline much. I try to keep as much as I can in my head and will actively read with main point and author's viewpoints in mind. It's super idiosyncratic as to what is going to work for you. I think anything you can do to save time is in your best interest when it comes to RC. If taking a few motes or circling key words saves you time and makes answering the questions easier, then it's a good strategy to employ.

630 karma

@"Alex Divine" Thank you! I will definitely try it out!

I always appreciate your advice!

edited August 2017 2983 karma

@jennybbbbb said:
    @Freddy_D

I do not make any notations. I did in the beginning and found that it was too time consuming. Instead, I read a paragraph and then summarize it in my head (see: Low res summary). I do the same thing for each paragraph while also "pushing back" to find the relationship between each paragraph.

630 karma

@Freddy_D

Yeah, I think that's why it takes me so much to finish a passage and on top of that.. I never really understand the passage. As result, my RC score is always the lowest.

I spend too much time making notes that it hinders my ability to actually understand the passage. I will try this strategy! Thanks guys!

2983 karma

No problem! Good luck!