Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I experiencing Burnout?

LSATHopeful-2LSATHopeful-2 Alum Member
in General 109 karma

Hey guys,

I think I need some advice. I've seen huge improvements on the LSAT this last month. Namely my LG going from -6 to -1/-2, understood parallel flaw, scored in the 170s for the first, second and third time. But something is amiss.

Last PT I took I got a 165 (my lowest score since I started prepping again in early July). It was my first 5 section test. But I don't know if that's the issue.

I sat down to take another PT today and I just couldn't understand anything I was reading. I thought I had mastered PF yet I was tremendously confused. I couldn't get a simple disagreement question. It's funny because the warmup I did i breezed through easily (about 5 questions). So idk if I'm experiencing burnout, or I'm just psyching myself out.

What do you guys think about taking today, tomorrow and sunday off. Then trying to retake this PT I gave up after the first section. I'll be honest I haven't been getting enough sleep as I should and only 3 questions deep today i started getting that 'post-lsat brain fuzz'. We have exactly 30 days left before Sept 16th and as much as I don't want to take time off...

So should I take time off - and do you think its detrimental that I use this time off to write my PS?

Thanks,

LSAT-hopefullynotburnout-2

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

This definitely gives a burnout vibe. It could be a lot of things though, and I want to address each part a bit differently.

1.) The drop to a 165 from the 170ish is not that big even though it might seem like it. A couple missed questions and a tight curve is enough to demolish our scores. Obviously it's alarming but it's not something to panic over. If you were tired, and not fully present that alone could account for that difference. Same with one hard RC passage or LG that just doesn't click. Don't let one bad score dictate the way you feel about the test.

2.) If you are reading and not focusing on anything, that is a MAJOR sign that you need a break. Today I was doing a LG and thinking about Star Wars. My mind just wasn't there and it was because I was tired. Take a break, go for a walk, play a game, watch a show or whatever and come back to it. You may just need a couple of minutes to reset.

3.) If the short break doesn't help, a long break is in order. I didn't believe in burnout and thought I was a super hero and could push through. @"Alex Divine" and @"Cant Get Right" told me to slow down. I eventually listened to them and took some time off (a couple of days) and coming back from that is when I finally pushed past my biggest plateau.

4.) Diet and sleep play a very indirect role on this test. Our minds and bodies need the energy to focus for hours on this test. This test is designed to require our full attention and without the proper diet and light exercise we are not properly equipped to handle the test. Make sure you take care of yourself first, then focus on the test.

Good Luck!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

If you went from scoring a 170 to sitting down and feeling like you can't understand anything, that sounds like burnout to me. Definitely follow @LSATcantwin 's detailed advice above and take a bit of a break. Sometimes I find that a a full Saturday of doing nothing LSAT related recharges me so that on Monday I am way more focused and ready to go!

• LSATHopeful-2LSATHopeful-2 Alum Member
    109 karma

@LSATcantwin and @"Alex Divine" You guys rock my socks.

I think if I went back to it rn, I would be able to do the test and be able to focus - but I think a long term is much deserved and in order. I'm going to take off the rest of the weekend, and try to do the PT again Monday and see how it goes. So thank you LSATcantwin!

Alex, yeah lol just a bit disconcerting. At first I was like, is the jump from 69 to 70 that different?? But to be so far gone when trying to understand questions seems indicative of a tired brain.

I'm going to rest up and eat well until Monday, pound back some coffee and hopefully kill it :). Thanks guys!