Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diagramming long conditional chains in LR

sandy180sandy180 Alum Member

I have become used to minimal to zero diagramming in LR. I can usually keep track of the argument premises and conditional reasoning in my head (I always bracket the conclusions and circles "some" "most" "all" etc). However, since I have been getting the LR questions with long conditional chains either incorrect or I guess correctly, I have been starting to diagram. Now my brain feels like a bunch of tennis shoes in a washing machine whenever I see a conditional chain longer than 3 variables. My question is this: Do you feel continued practice without diagramming is more worthwhile than learning a new technique specific to long conditional chain questions? I know it's a bit of an ambiguous question, but I feel I'm at a crossroad and want to make the best use of my studies/practice.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@sayhey180 said:
    I have become used to minimal to zero diagramming in LR. I can usually keep track of the argument premises and conditional reasoning in my head (I always bracket the conclusions and circles "some" "most" "all" etc). However, since I have been getting the LR questions with long conditional chains either incorrect or I guess correctly, I have been starting to diagram. Now my brain feels like a bunch of tennis shoes in a washing machine whenever I see a conditional chain longer than 3 variables. My question is this: Do you feel continued practice without diagramming is more worthwhile than learning a new technique specific to long conditional chain questions? I know it's a bit of an ambiguous question, but I feel I'm at a crossroad and want to make the best use of my studies/practice.

I definitely think this skill is useful to master. For many questions you may be able to reason in your head, but obviously the ones you're getting wrong require a different approach. I think ultimately the practice of learning to diagram these out accurately and efficiently can lead to being able to do some of the longer ones in your head! So it's really a win-win.

You can also practice both. On timed exams employ the strategy you're used to and on BR practice getting better at diagramming the arguments out. This is a good practice regardless of whether or not you end up diagramming on the actual timed PTs.

• sandy180sandy180 Alum Member
    159 karma

"I think ultimately the practice of learning to diagram these out accurately and efficiently can lead to being able to do some of the longer ones in your head! So it's really a win-win."

That is A+ advice. Thanks Alex.