Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LR advice?

lsattaker10lsattaker10 Free Trial Member
edited August 2017 in Logical Reasoning 76 karma

Hi all,

I find myself on these forums everyday because everyone is so helpful :). I've recently experienced a 7 point jump from my diagnostic! Which I am so keenly happy about. Mainly, this is because I'm doing well in RC and LG (avg -5 and -2 respectively).

But where I'm really struggling with is LR! When I first started (before learning methods and question types), I would get 5-8 wrong. Now I consistently get 10-11 wrong! It's really disheartening. I've read the Powerscore LRB once through, and I'm thinking about going over it again. Does anyone have some good advice on how to improve LR? Anything helps, considering I'm getting 56% on each section! Alot of people mention drilling too. Any advice on how to drill well?

I should also mention I can never finish a full section in 35 minutes. The highest I go is question 23, and even that is a struggle. The first 10 questions, I can normally complete within 10 minutes. But after that, it slows down alot. By the time I'm at question 15, 20 minutes have passed.

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited August 2017 13286 karma

Fundamentals - if you aren't finishing In time, and you are missing the amount you are the first thing I think of is fundamentals.

Can you identify the main conclusion of every argument?

Do you know what the premises are?

Can you do conditional logic?

Once you have an understanding of this then you need to work through question types one by one. Practicing the fundamentals of each.

A Must Be True question, you better have a good foundation of conditional logic.

Argument part, main conclusion, parallel reasoning, flaw and many more you HAVE to know how to identify support and conclusions.

This is where I would start, review fundamentals and then slowly work your way through question types constantly reinforcing what you learn. Speed comes with understanding.

• sandy180sandy180 Alum Member
    159 karma

Just confirming what Darth said. I too read the LRB, however, I hit a wall at -3 or -4 per LR section. If I go -0 it's because I guessed correctly. Since I have not completed the 7sage CC yet (which I am going to), I cannot say for sure it's what you need. However, I would strongly suggest doing the CC yourself, nail down the fundamentals, and then be able to have an intuitive plan of attack for each question type. This is what the LRB does not allow for because it offers more "tricks" than leaning how to internalize (still think it's a great book). Once you internalize, your speed and accuracy will jump. This I can guarantee. If you still have ?'s feel free to PM me.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I may be biased but I would recommend a 7Sage course. If you are a fan of books, then I would HIGHLY suggest the Manhattan Prep LR book or LSAT Trainer over the PS LRB.

As far as specifics, as others above me have mentioned, it is ALL about the fundamentals. So you want to master the LSAT's conditional logic and study how to effectively tackle each question type. Learn what right answers and what wrong answers are generally going to look like. Pay attention to any patterns you may note!

Drill by practicing untimed sets of each question type as well as timed sections.

Good luck!

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

I went through PS LRB too and normally use their method.

That being said, 7sage advocates an approach to LR much different than the Bibles - read the question first. While I personally don't do this, many 7sagers do and say it works wonders for them.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

Yeah, I like 7sage for LR. They really helped me to improve a crap ton along with drilling. If not, maybe try the LSAT trainer?