Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bizarre Flip in Section Scores

Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
in General 4423 karma

For months now I have been scoring virtually perfectly on logical reasoning, missing 1 to 3 questions on reading and endeavoring to avoid all out disaster on logic games.

I have been progressing through the tests and took PT's 70 and 71 this morning. I recieved a 175 and 176 respectively. The overall score was fine. I'm retaking a 172 and a 175 or 176 is about the neighborhood of score that I am hoping for.

The strange part was that on both tests I was perfect on Games and Reading. All my mistakes came on LR. I just had my best ever logic games and reading comp combination on a test and then sat down and did it again. But both times I ended up right in my normal range overall because I had my worst logical reasoning test in months twice in a row.

Anyways, I caught most of the logical reasoning mistakes in blind review. But, at this point I'm suddenly no longer confident of a couple point increase over my 172. It feels like I could get anything from a score lower than a 170 up to a 180. After all, my LR's could return to their norm and the logic games could maintain this new level or my games could return to their norm and my LR sections could stay in their slump from today.

Maybe tests 70 and 71 were different? Maybe I was in the mood for games? I'll see what it's like tommorow.

I was really planning to cram in as many PT's as I can through this weekend and just prep by reviewing them while I'm in school which starts next week for me. So there isn't much time for much of a fix other than to review all of the LR problems with even more attention.

Has anyone else experienced such a flip in which sections are their strengths? How did you settle it if you did?

Comments

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

They sometimes ratchet up the difficulty in LR and compensate with easier LG and RC. I wouldn't freak out, especially with a score of 175/176. That being said, it's hard to guarantee that you'll improve on your previous score of 172. Even someone who is consistently scoring in the mid 170's can easily score a 172 on test day, for a variety of reasons.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

Yeah, difficulty differs per test. One test may just have a really hard LR section, another may have a tough LG or a tough RC.

I wouldn't worry too much about thinking your strengths have flipped. It happens to everyone in which you do well on a section and then another PT you may do worse on that section than the rest of the PT. Just review it, learn from it, and move onto the next PT. There will usually always be that one section on a test that is harder than the rest, it evens things out.

Just keep grinding!

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

Agree with above.

Section difficulty varies. Single day performance varies.

At the very high end of scores, you're talking about 1-2 questions either way. That's entirely within the margin of error.