Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any advice?

nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
in General 1723 karma

So i have spent majority of my study time doing timed sections. My average LR section is -2 and my average RC is -4. LG is -1/-2.
For some reason when i sit down for a PT my scores go all over the place. I am not confident in my ACs, i misread rules, i rush my reading. Its a disaster.
I was hesitant to take more than 1 pt every 1.5 weeks or so, but i dont think its enough? Thoughts?
I was gearing up for September, but by the looks of my PTs its looking like im gonna have to push to dec

Comments

• vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
    edited August 2017 1084 karma

It sounds like the material you have pretty much down, and it is just a matter of getting used to doing full PTs and getting over the nerves. For what it is worth, I found meditation practice really helpful for this. I really think 50% of this test is psychological. And if you know all the content well, a lot of it is just about learning how to relax and stay centered so that your natural ability and skills can come forward. This is something I work on everyday with meditation practice and a reflection journal from my meditations, as much as my drilling and PTs. I really think it is just as important.

Can't say if you should do Sept or not, but those are my thoughts.

Best of luck

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

This used to happen to me and it was my mindset. I felt that since I was going to do a fully timed PT that it was very different from timed drilling, even though I was doing good on timed drilling but crappy on PT's. I always got nervous when I was about to do a PT.

I feel like it's just mindset for you too. You say you misread rules, etc. Try forcing yourself to think that you are doing just timed drilling, and don't even think of the fact you have a following section. It's hard to do, but if this is the same as it was for me, then mindset is a huge influence on your performance.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

You may need some work on your endurance especially if you haven't done a good amount of PTs. I know it took me a good number before my scores on timed sections and full PTs began to match. It could also very well be that you aren't as present focused as you are during your timed sections, and on PTs you might be panicking a bit or feeling overly rushed.