Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Admissions course for Canadians

Hello all! I was just wondering if anyone knows if any of the more extensive admissions courses on 7Sage (like the editing options) would be applicable to people only applying to Canadian schools?
Thanks!!

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

I believe they are applicable to people applying to Canadian schools.

I think you should contact @"David.Busis" (Email: editors [at] 7sage.com).

• vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
    edited August 2017 1084 karma

They are applicable, but just be aware that some schools in Canada have different criteria than schools in the U.S. I'm Canadian as well and applying to Ontario and Alberta schools and both handle things like Resume material quite differently. UofCalgary also doesn't have a personal statement, but rather a series of questions you answer in their online application. UofToronto on the other hand has a personal statement but no letters of recommendation.
    So you just need to do research on the schools you want to apply to ahead of time and adjust your approach accordingly

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7286 karma

@apawalter @akistotle Unfortunatley, the most important part of the admissions course—on personal statements—is geared towards American law schools. If you look at the example personal statements provided by most Canadian schools, they're much closer to cover letters or statements of purpose (why do you want to go to law school? why would you be a good lawyer?) than they are to the type of narratives most American law schools seem to prefer.

I'd say the résumé section still applies, as does the advice regarding recommenders, "why X" essays, writing well in general.

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7286 karma

@apawalter @akistotle …and as soon as I wrote that, I realized you're not asking about the admissions course at all. You're asking about editing.

Yes, we have extensive experience editing personal statements and supplementary essays for Canadian law schools.

• apawalterapawalter Member
    357 karma

Thanks for that info @"vanessa fisher", I've noticed that as well but will look more into it too!

And thank you @"David.Busis" I was wondering about both things actually! So both your answers are very helpful, thank you for the response :smiley: