PT10.S1.Q18 - people cannot be morally responsible

JudyyyyyJudyyyyy Alum Member
edited January 2016 in General 136 karma
Can anyone help explain how I should translate the stimulus?
I understand why E is the correct answer, but I would love to solidify why this answer choice is 100% correct.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• David WayneDavid Wayne Free Trial Member
    edited September 2014 571 karma
    The stimulus asserts that everyone acts in ways influenced by the way in which they were treated as infants. Everyone, including adults. We know infants have no control over their treatment and so in accordance with the stimulus are not responsible for the consequences of actions that result from that treatment. So if adults are acting in ways that are influenced by treatment as an infant - treatment they necessarily had no control over, in accordance with what the stimulus says - then adults must commit some actions for which they cannot be said to be responsible. Again, the stimulus said that EVERYONE acts in ways influenced by childhood treatment (treatment they had no control over because they were infants).

E says that it must be true that no adult can be responsible for every action they perform. Absolutely true. Because some of those actions are performed because of childhood treatment. The stimulus said every adult performs some acts that are a result of infant treatment. So every adult performs actions for which they cannot justifiably be assigned culpability. Hence, to say that no adult should be responsible for all their actions (some of which include these actions for which they are not responsible) would be correct.

Did you want formal logic in an explanation? That'd be a little tricky on this one but doable.
  • JudyyyyyJudyyyyy Alum Member
    136 karma
    Thank you!!

Could you please give me the formal logic explanation? I'm trying to figure it out, but I'm finding trouble doing so...