Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Different paths....

LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
edited September 2017 in General 13286 karma

It's been awhile since I have done one of these, mostly because I took the REAL FREAKING LSAT last Saturday. Today I've decided to go with a theme I've seen pop up a bit on these forums recently.

Every single person on this planet is unique. We have all been forged in the crucible of life by different experiences, situations, opportunities and struggles. One person might face strife one day and endearment the next; while another faces love and then disappointment. What we cannot do is lose perspective of life and ourselves. Each person has a unique life story that is so personalized, so individualized, that it creates who they are. To compare ones life to another is futile because they are so disproportionately different from each other. What is hard for one person may come naturally to another, not because that person is inherently better, but simply because their life circumstances were better suited for that particular challenge. It's not fair to belittle the person who has a harder time, because I promise you they are better equipped to handle something that you are not. It's also not fair for the person who struggled to belittle themselves; just because it came easy to someone else does not mean you are incapable of achieving the same results.

Once we are able to stop comparing ourselves to others then things become more clear. Your personal challenges become evident. It is then up to you to focus on what you need to do to achieve your goals. I believe you will find the challenge much more manageable once you stop trying to be like everyone else. You can see your own weaknesses, you can personalize a path to your goal, and you can kill self-doubt because you are no longer worried you are "behind" or "unskilled" or "incapable". Then this is where people can begin to rely on each other. Once we know ourselves and our own strengths and weaknesses we can begin to offer help to others, and to take advice. We need to be able to admit that we are not amazing in every aspect of our lives and be willing to listen to others, while simultaneously offering our own wisdom and advice to those that need it.

• John is 22 years old, fresh out of undergrad, a single Dad who works full time and is great at Logic Games.

• Susan is a 42 year old mother of 3 who was once an accountant but wants to switch to the legal field and is a master at Reading Comp.

• Both of these two want a 180....

Why wouldn't they help each other? These two people stand to gain everything by working together and stand to lose nothing. Stop getting lost in the competitive game of trying to be better than others and start helping each other.

Each and every one of you who took the time to read this is an amazing individual. You have the potential to be whatever, and whomever you want to be. It might not come easy, it might be a challenge, but you can still accomplish it. Look into other peoples lives only to help them and lift them up, never look down on them. The LSAT is one challenge we all have in common and we all struggle in our own way. Let's use this as a way to bond and to grow as individuals and not as a way to prove we are "better" than someone else.

I give you this seal....to do whatever you want to do.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/94/40/10/9440103e7832d279069fe1a6beebb0c9.jpg

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@LSATcantwin Right on!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

<3

Welll said. That's why I really enjoy these boards, the vibe is a very supportive community. We're all working toward the same goal so let's work together to get there.

• ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    edited September 2017 1184 karma

This is great, thank you :)

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

Bumps for a great message.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma
  • amedley88amedley88 Alum Member
    378 karma

Beautiful, really needed this today... Thank you

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

Awesome post!

Also, the Goofy Movie gif is 100!! Top 5 animated movie of all time.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@Freddy_D said:
    Awesome post!

I went to Disneyland for the first time when I was 26 years old. I saw a Goofy hat with ears flopping down from it. I became a child and started begging for it. I then realized I was 26 and could buy it for myself. Needless to say, I had the best trip of my life wearing my goofy hat around Disneyland.

I. Love. Goofy.

• cbyrns21cbyrns21 Free Trial Member
    160 karma

Thank you for writing this! I just took the LSAT last Saturday and I left feeling drained. Definitely not the feeling I expected but, it is what it is. I began to compare myself with others and that made me feel even worse. Like everyone on this site, I studied my a** off. I actually dread getting my score back in October. Anyways, my point is, I started this unhealthy Google search on "can you get into a decent law school with "X" LSAT score?" I started going down this self-deprecating path reading how these people all scored 174 or higher with a 3.9 GPA and how the LSAT was easier than they expected. This made me ask myself, "does anyone struggle with the LSAT?" It seemed like all these people painted an unrealistic picture of unheralded success while I felt miserably inadequate. The meaning of all this is that I allowed myself to be sucked into comparisons and believed that if this was my competition, who am I to even contemplate applying for law school. Somehow believing I'm out of my league. I slowly got out of that mindset with my support system and picked myself back up.
    It just goes to show that you don't need to put on a show for people. This is the most real discussion forum I've come across as of late and it's refreshing. My story is complicated, to say the least and I just hope others now they're not alone with this overwhelming law school journey!

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@Freddy_D said:
    Awesome post!

I went to Disneyland for the first time when I was 26 years old. I saw a Goofy hat with ears flopping down from it. I became a child and started begging for it. I then realized I was 26 and could buy it for myself. Needless to say, I had the best trip of my life wearing my goofy hat around Disneyland.

I. Love. Goofy.

Goofy does not get the respect he deserves.

P.S. I have the same exact hat!! :smiley: