Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GPA/Transcript Addendum

austen.auausten.au Alum Member
edited September 2017 in Law School Admissions 18 karma

Hello,

I am in need of advice of whether I should write a GPA addendum for specific schools. My overall GPA when I graduated college was a 3.68. However, during my first year, I was unsure about my career path, and I faced surmounting pressure from my parents to follow in their footsteps (both of whom are dentists). Therefore, I majored in biology even though I had no clear passion towards it. During my first year, I struggled greatly in my classes and I was afraid to ask for help because I was embarrassed. No matter how much I studied, I could not grasp the concepts. Also, I didn't utilize the resources on campus (i.e. free tutoring, office hours, etc) and it came at the expense of my grades. By the end of my first year, I had a cumulative GPA of 2.78.

However, during the following summer, I realized I could no longer pursue a career I was not interested in. I withdrew from my physics course (leaving a W on my transcript) and changed my major to English because I had a genuine interest in law. After changing my major, I became more comfortable asking questions and I wasn't afraid to ask for help when I needed it. I began to visit my professors' office hours and the Academic Resource Center. Over my remaining years, I averaged a 3.97 GPA. However, my overall GPA is a 3.68 due to my first year of majoring in biology.

I read online that we should not write an addendum if we don't really need one. The article said, "Law school admissions officers can spot a 'failed premed' from a mile away—they don’t necessarily need or want you to explain it in an addendum." However, I feel like my case is not necessarily the same. I learned from my experiences and I have worked tremendously hard over the years.

Therefore, should I write an addendum to EVERY school explaining why my cumulative GPA is not necessarily as high as it could be? Or should I only write an addendum only to schools where my GPA is BELOW the median GPA of that respective school? Or should I not write an addendum at all?

I feel like my addendum could provide some insight into who I am and how I've grown over the years (i.e. How I am eager to learn, not afraid to seek help, and how my GPA is not necessarily reflective of who I am as a student or my ability to succeed in law school)

Thank you in advance everyone.

Comments

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

This is just my opinion, but to me an addendum doesn't seem necessary. It's pretty evident you just made some mistakes your freshman year, but then really got your act together/found your calling and did well from then on. An addendum idk if it would hurt, but idk if it's necessary. To me, it would just be redundant.

• zanesbitzanesbit Alum Member
    102 karma

I think if you choose to write one it should deb short and sweet. Keep it succinct and only state what is necessary (a la Paul's summary).

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27860 karma

Definitely don't write one if you're above the median. That would be extremely irritating to admissions. Even if you're below though, I just don't think it's necessary. It's by no means a terrible GPA, and they'll see your transcript and how your grades progress. The lessons you learned from that, while sincerely meaningful to you, are lessons they likely assume from your transcript and read about all the time. Great question for 7Sage admissions team though. They can probably answer this much better than I can, so maybe try to check out the admissions webinar tonight: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/12836/webinar-edit-giveaway-admissions-doubleheader-tuesday-sept-26th-9pm

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

I say no. There are plenty of applicants who don't do so well their freshman year and then do better for the rest of college. Admissions committees get this, and know there will always be applicants like this. Plus, if they look at your transcript they will be able to tell, so an addendum will just tell them what they can already see.

There's no need :)