Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inserting words that aren't there.

Hi all -

I just finished my first LSAT practice exam. I did much better than I thought I would! I am aiming for a 160 and I am surprised at how well I tested my first time.

I need to work on my logic and reasoning skills. Those skills I can develop relatively quickly given the test dates of December and February. However, something I've struggled since I learned how to read is inserting words that aren't there. When I'm reading, I will subconsciously insert words like "if", "not", "hasn't," etc. This has a tremendous effect on my understanding of the stimulus and sometimes leads me to the wrong answer.

Does anyone else involuntarily add words when reading the stimulus? If so, how do you deal with it? Do you slow down your reading speed to fully understand the stimulus? If so, how do you balance that strategy with the limited time to complete the section?

Thank you for your constructive insight!

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Interesting that you add words. I subtract them... I'm likely to miss a negative like "not" or something. This is a big problem, especially in the answer choices, because it changes the answer!! haha

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@"Johnny Hammersticks" Hi, I have the same issue. I also have issues with transposing letters in LG. I'll write T but it's nowhere in the game. I have also made up entire sentences before. I'm not really sure how to handle this issue under the 35 min time constraints so I'm seeking accommodations. Slowing down reading does nothing for me because I have the same issue without the time constraints. I have a diagnosis so hopefully I am approved. Have you talked to a professional about your issue?

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

Slow down on reading the stimulus. Don't rush it, just read at a natural, relaxed pace. Speed comes from acting decisively once you hit the ACs with a solid and complete understanding of the stimulus, and from moving on quickly when you're in danger of being bogged down on a difficult question. Trying to bank time from your stimulus reads will definitely lead to these types of issues.