Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Resume Question

Sarah889Sarah889 Alum Member
edited October 2017 in Law School Admissions 877 karma

Hi All,

I'm putting together my resume for my law school applications and I've come across two issues that I'm not quite sure what to do with.

1) Back in sophomore year, I won an award for a research project (I was 1 out of 5 winners). There was a ceremony, where we all gave speeches. I ran a Google search for this award and my name. My project came up along with a statement I had written-- all fine with me. However, the video of the ceremony also came up (It's an hour long video and my speech is 3 minutes at the end...but I am also the video "screen shot", so whether or not you watch the video, someone clicking on the page would see an image of me giving my speech). I DO NOT WANT AOs WATCHING MY SPEECH. It is an incredibly immature speech...I joked about how I tend to skip class (which is just not true...I hardly ever skipped class. I said that out of pure nervousness), I was not grammatically correct in more places than one, I come across like an airhead at points...it's just not something I'm proud of. I can't seem to find the video if I just Google my name, but if I Google the name of the award, I can find mine by clicking on the year I received it. If I Google the name of the award and my name, I will find it no problem. If I Google my name and my alma mater, I will find it no problem. My question is-- how concerned should I be that an AO will dig deep enough to find this video? Should I just leave the award off my resume to decrease the chances they will find it? It's a pretty impressive award, so I think it will help my resume, but I'm also convinced that, if for whatever reason, the AO researches me enough, they will find this video. Granted, they would have to make the decision to watch the video or skip through to find my speech--but I am featured as the video image, so that increases the chances of that happening a bit.

2) I was the President of a club at my alma mater that apparently no longer exists? I guess when I left my school, no one resumed the role of the President and it sort of just ended. I can't find any record on the school website or anywhere else of the existence of this club, which is a real bummer because we used to have a website where I was featured as the President. I'm nervous to put this on my resume because I don't want an AO to try and verify this and not be able to find it. I mean, if they called my school and asked about it, I can only assume the school will be able to verify that this club existed in the past (we were an official club through the student government), but I'm not sure they will put that much effort in. My question is this--if an AO cannot find this club via Google, am I taking a risk that they will think I am being dishonest? Or am I being wayyyy too paranoid? Everything else on my resume is verifiable by a Google search, except for this.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I truly think you're overthinking this a bit much. I don't think they are going to search for your speech and watch an hour to see your 3 minutes at the end. I actually have a similar concern for a speech I gave at my graduation, haha.

As far as the club, same deal. If you're telling the truth you honestly have nothing to worry about.

• Sarah889Sarah889 Alum Member
    877 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    I truly think you're overthinking this a bit much. I don't think they are going to search for your speech and watch an hour to see your 3 minutes at the end. I actually have a similar concern for a speech I gave at my graduation, haha.

As far as the club, same deal. If you're telling the truth you honestly have nothing to worry about.

That's really good to hear. I agree-- I never thought they would watch the hour video. I was more concerned that they would skip through to find where in the video I spoke. It's uploaded via YouTube, so it's relatively easy to skip around.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Sarah889 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

That's really good to hear. I agree-- I never thought they would watch the hour video. I was more concerned that they would skip through to find where in the video I spoke. It's uploaded via YouTube, so it's relatively easy to skip around.

To be honest, I really don't think AO care enough to do all that. I don't have much data to back up that claim except that I've read the process of AO's in books and it seems like they don't spend a whole lot of time with each app. I can't imagine they would look for youtube videos .... let alone skip around to find you speak.