Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possible by Dec?

JennaV33JennaV33 Member
in General 28 karma

I switched to 7sage about 3 weeks ago, so still working on core curriculum. I am taking the dec LSAT and am currently PTing around 155 (154 was my raw score, I did not study much before 7sage like I should have). In order to get into my dream school I know I need a 163 and I should be golden (162 would probably also do it), I'm currently doing 2 PTs weekly, studying nightly, doing undergrad and taking care of my toddler. Do you think it is possible for me to improve my score 8 points by December?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@JennaV33 said:
    I switched to 7sage about 3 weeks ago, so still working on core curriculum. I am taking the dec LSAT and am currently PTing around 155 (154 was my raw score, I did not study much before 7sage like I should have). In order to get into my dream school I know I need a 163 and I should be golden (162 would probably also do it), I'm currently doing 2 PTs weekly, studying nightly, doing undergrad and taking care of my toddler. Do you think it is possible for me to improve my score 8 points by December?

It is possible, yes. The real question is if it is likely... That I can't answer without more information. I will say that you should really not be taking 2 PTs a week before finishing the CC, especially since you mention you didn't study much before 7Sage. I also don't think there is much utility in doing 2 PTs a week when you're scoring in the 150s. There is still so much foundational knowledge to be learned while you are in the 150s that PT'ing isn't a very effective strategy for you. Stick to the CC lessons and drills for now. Once you build up strong fundamentals and finish the CC, then you can begin taking PTs.

It also seems like you have a lot going on between undergrad, the toddler, and this test. Don't ever feel like you have to be committed to a date. You don't have to apply this cycle or go to law school next year. You know what you need (163) so just aim to be scoring consistently in the 165-166 range before you sit for the test, and I'm confident you can ultimately get the score you need.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

As usual, @"Alex Divine" is spot on. You could take the LSAT tomorrow and score a 170, VERY unlikely, no offense, but possible. However, in order to raise your PT average intonthe 165 range in 2.5 months is going to be tough. Especially when your study time is limited.
    I would suggest you everything you can to carve out time for focused, uninterrupted study. Absolutely agree with Alex that doing so many PTs at this stage is wasting limited resources; time and PTs. Don't fall for the misconception that taking PTs relentlessly will lead to significant gains--it just won't.
    Finish the CC, gain the requusite skills and knowledge to really master the LSAT, then resume PTs, maybe twice a week, probably just once though. PUT 100 PERCENT EFFORT INTO BLOND REVIEW! It is the single best way to learn your weaknesses and fix them! Once i realized this and quit half-a**ing BR, I made roughly a 5 point leap in a month, exactly the progress you're hoping for.
    Finally, when December rolls around, if you're PT scores ate consistently north of 160, I would say take the test. Baring a total meltdown on Dday, either A, you get your 163--yay--or B, you get a slightly lower score which could be enough anyway, or you could consider other schools. If decide to try again in February, or even wait until next year, a 159 is not going to negatively impact your chances, plus you'll be better equipped to nail it on round two because you've experienced a real LSAT.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

Anything is possible if you believe :)

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

I have a toddler too. It will be very hard. I think you should postpone esp with what else you have going on - feel free to message me if you would like some more of my advice. I'm in a similar position :) hugs!

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

@tylerdschreur10 said:
    As usual, @"Alex Divine" is spot on. You could take the LSAT tomorrow and score a 170, VERY unlikely, no offense, but possible. However, in order to raise your PT average intonthe 165 range in 2.5 months is going to be tough. Especially when your study time is limited.
    I would suggest you everything you can to carve out time for focused, uninterrupted study. Absolutely agree with Alex that doing so many PTs at this stage is wasting limited resources; time and PTs. Don't fall for the misconception that taking PTs relentlessly will lead to significant gains--it just won't.
    Finish the CC, gain the requusite skills and knowledge to really master the LSAT, then resume PTs, maybe twice a week, probably just once though. PUT 100 PERCENT EFFORT INTO BLOND REVIEW! It is the single best way to learn your weaknesses and fix them! Once i realized this and quit half-a**ing BR, I made roughly a 5 point leap in a month, exactly the progress you're hoping for.
    Finally, when December rolls around, if you're PT scores ate consistently north of 160, I would say take the test. Baring a total meltdown on Dday, either A, you get your 163--yay--or B, you get a slightly lower score which could be enough anyway, or you could consider other schools. If decide to try again in February, or even wait until next year, a 159 is not going to negatively impact your chances, plus you'll be better equipped to nail it on round two because you've experienced a real LSAT.

what advice can you give as far as BR? I have really been hitting it harder than ever before. It is very time consuming though it takes me like 3 hours to get through a section

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

@sillllyxo First, don't be put off by that length of time. It is a worthwhile investment, you will see results! I can't give a ton of specific advice unfortunately, it's mainly mindset for me. Put twice as much effort into BR as you would a PT.
    For RC, I still struggle. can't give much advice really. I try to write out my reasoning for each AC, but this hasn't been super helpful :(
    LR: I analyze the question type, then analyze each AC and write down why it is right or wrong in my opinion. If I'm unsure I put down a best guess for what might make each choice wrong/right. Then I come back through and check answers to either say, got it right, sound logic, or got it wrong, that reasoning is flawed. usually by that third time looking at the question I can see my error. If not, look up solution if there is one, or hit the message boards!
    LG: I go back through the whole section with blank boards and slowly work through each game. I right our the rules and attempt to find every possible inference up front, try splitting the game board, and then do the questions. I also prove every AC right or wrong here, just for practice and thoroughness. You should go -0 on LG blind review EVERY TIME! If not, you need to drill that game type, or you're being sloppy.

Other than that, it's mostly about determining which questions you missed due to time pressure, and which are from lack of understanding. The second type you can then drill, practice, or review CC on. The first type are tougher, it's a cost-benefit analysis of whether the time spent to get it right is worth one point out of 101. Depending on your goals and speed, some question types might be automatic skip and returns because they take you 3 minutes. Personal judgement call there

hope that helps!