currently at 171, goal 177 by oct 2015 - is it possible? tips?

kdannekdanne Free Trial Member
in General 15 karma
hi all - i'm currently at a 171 (logic games -5, logical reasoning -4, reading comp -1), hoping to get a 177 by october 2015.

is it possible? tips on how to study? what score should i be aiming for in my practice tests?

thanks!

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Was that just one test? Or is that an average of several of your most recent? If it's the former, you have a lot more work to do than you think, but if its the latter then it will be a bit more doable, though jumping into that score band is incredibly difficult. The good thing for you is that your LG isn't perfect yet, and it should be. Check this out if you need a new strategy for LG drilling: http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy

You need to be getting a 177-180 on all your PTs and definitely all your BRs because you're likely to score lower on test day than in your PTs. Of course, anything is possible, but you need to understand that points are incredibly difficult to come by above 170. I think you just need to keep PTing at least 3 times per week and then see what your analytics are telling you.
  • crogaticrogati Member
    29 karma
    I don't have detailed advice since I'm not an expert but want to say congrats on what you have achieved! I would say where you are now in relation to the October test is incredible! I wish I had this score before me. I was told to achieve perfection on LG to achieve my next goal and seems that you have room to do so as well. That's one starting point. Sounds to me you are so close to greatness, and yes it is 'possible' to do---I wouldn't know how to weigh in for probability. I tend to only listen to advice that tells me I 'can' something and then figure out how do get there. I am not one for likihoods! Maybe that mindset would help you!
  • crogaticrogati Member
    29 karma
    Google "advice from a 180 LSAT Vet." He gives you the way how and the time line, goals etc.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    If you are consistently at a 171 with a -5 LG score, then you are in prime position to advance deep into the upper 170's bracket. Drill games! You're essentially wasting your -4 and -1 in LR and RC (assuming these are consistent scores) if you don't maximize your games points.

Other than that, the variability within the 177-180 range is largely due to luck of the draw; this isn't to say that you can't improve once you hit this threshold, but sometimes you will just come across a couple questions over a course of a test that don't really jive with you.
  • lschoolgolschoolgo Member
    edited July 2015 274 karma
    if you can consistently get -1 on RC in new PTs, no reason you can't get 177+ on the real test. you should share how you do so well at RC.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    He/She read good?
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    You should focus on LG... That should get you to -3 at least if not 0 if u drill LG for a couple of weeks.
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    @kdanne You should have no problem getting -0 on LG once you start to drill all of the games and use the fool proof method.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @c.janson35 said:
    If you are consistently at a 171 with a -5 LG score, then you are in prime position to advance deep into the upper 170's bracket.
    Took the words right out of my mouth (or, uh, the letters from my fingertips). Basically the most master-able section is what's keeping your score low, if you're 0-2 on the other sections. That's a great position in which to find one's self.
  • crogaticrogati Member
    29 karma
    @kdanne yes, please! If you could share your RC mindset since your ratio is incredible!
  • kdannekdanne Free Trial Member
    edited July 2015 15 karma
    hi -

thanks all! i really appreciate your suggestions and support.

@Pacifico - this is actually the lowest I've scored in a while, it just really freaked me out. (my previous avg had been 173). happy to hear that the lg drilling is an option.

re: reading:

not sure if your worry is speed or lack of comprehension, so:

re: speed -- practice reading at this level. one thing to know is that i read a ton of dense stuff. during the school year, 4 - 10 hours a week of very detail oriented arguments (i.e. philosophy) + add'l hours of some academic economics papers and math. reading stuff that continually forces you to pay attention to details in order to even understand what's being said helps a lot. one interesting source for that kind of reading is the harvard phil faculty - most of their papers are free online.

re: not understanding the questions - not sure what's taught, but i use a 3 stage process: 1) read every answer choice, cross out the obviously wrong ones; 2) if still several remaining, check details - is the answer choice reworded slightly, such that it's just a little bit off? this is where paying attn really pays off; 3) if still confused (i often am - i convince myself that there are good args for 2+ choices), go back to gut check -- is there a choice that really is intuitively appealing?

hope that helps. let me know if i can be more specific.