Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bringing a parent to law school open house

Hey guys,
One of the schools that I am applying for is having an open house this weekend. This sounds like a silly question but would it look bad to bring my mom with me? I'm very close with my mom and she will be the one who's paying for my law eduction so it makes sense that she wants to see exactly where her money is going...but I read on some other forums that taking your parents with you looks immature and can send the wrong message.
Any thoughts?

Comments

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

Not at all! My mom is my best friend. I would totally bring her and I think it is informative to both parents and future law students ~ and she is the one paying for it which if my Mom was I would definitely keep her very involved in everything.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Keeping Mom involved is a great idea, but I'm not sure bringing her along to the open house is the best idea. It might reflect upon you in the way that you fear.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@uhinberg said:
    Keeping Mom involved is a great idea, but I'm not sure bringing her along to the open house is the best idea. It might reflect upon you in the way that you fear.

Really? I would have said yes, to bring her mom. Her mom is paying for her education and they are close - I would want to talk things through with someone I was close too. Plus - no one has to know its her mom - maybe its her aunt or a mentor. I would say yes, bring.

2326 karma

Making a wise decision in any sphere requires a person to weigh different angles and opinions. So, in that spirit, here's a link to a relevant discussion: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=205439

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@uhinberg said:
    Making a wise decision in any sphere requires a person to weigh different angles and opinions. So, in that spirit, here's a link to a relevant discussion: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=205439

Mmmm, still not buying it. Perhaps its how I grew up. Just because you are an adult doesn't mean that your parents are no longer in your life or you shouldn't involve them to make huge life decisions. I don't see how an adult is considered a child if they have a good relationship with a parent and want them involved. Certainly, I wouldn't bring a parent to an interview or an event only for law students but its seems to me that an open house is to see what the school is all about. I would want my best friend there with me - and if that best friend is my mom, then so be it.

And... since we are talking about being judged - we are judged every single day by someone else. I'm sure the people in my gym class this morning judged me for the ill-fitting outfit I wore and the ridiculous way my upper cuts looked - eh.

708 karma

@uhinberg said:

I have to respectfully disagree with this. I have a different view because I'm a parent myself and would bring along my mom. & When/if I have to pay for my son's future schooling I would hope he includes me or I would feel pretty left out.

edited October 2017 708 karma

and some people on TLS are pretty rude! I don't think those comments embody the spirit of 7 sage at all :)

2326 karma

The question here is not simply whether you would look down on such a person, but whether there is a possibility that someone else might. I too would not look down on such a person and think it's great that they are involving their parent in such an important decision, but is it a given that everyone else, including those on admission committees, will share the same view?

708 karma

@uhinberg said:
    The question here is not simply whether you would look down on such a person, but whether there is a possibility that someone else might. I too would not look down on such a person and think it's great that they are involving their parent in such an important decision, but is it a given that everyone else, including those on admission committees, will share the same view?

honestly i'm not sure exactly what happens at law school open houses, but i highly doubt that someone on the admission committee would care enough or even remember the people that brought their parents

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    edited October 2017 4196 karma

I think it kind of depends. If you know your parent will be the one asking most of the questions instead of you or being just heavy weight you have to drag through the whole thing, then no. It should be about you. But if you know your parent is just going to see the school and where you may study, and they let you do you then sure why not? If you think it may give off a certain impression to others then just screw what they think.

I personally probably wouldn't bring a parent to anything LS related unless it was during hours where it wasn't something like an open house or ASW/ASD. But that is just me personally, do what you want and REMEMBER: screw what others think!

• thisisspartathisissparta Alum Member
    edited October 2017 1363 karma

@uhinberg said:

Other people's judgment on this matter is especially irrelevant - there's nothing particularly wise about weighing others' opinion here. For one, none of the guests attending the event are going to be involved in the admissions process - so what they think of OP bringing his/her parent isn't going to impact her file in any manner whatsoever. If anyone's opinion is to count, it's probably the adcom (albeit I highly doubt they're going to ask or remember your name after the event, so it's likely only going to be a momentary opinion if any), and as long as OP goes up to the admissions official to ask any question he/she has, and doesn't require his/parent to ask his/her questions for him/her, I don't see any problem here. Finally, the reasoning behind bringing the parent is a fairly solid one - it is reasonable for a parent to know what she/he is paying for, and it is reasonable for a child to encourage the parent to do the same in such a scenario. And OP wouldn't be the first person to have a parent pay for their education; it does happen. So it's not like the adcom - the only people whose opinion could/would arguably 'matter' - would be viewing the attendance of a parent with their child for the first time in their lives (or that it'd be something that they'd have unheard of).

I was at a open house last week and a prospective applicant brought her parents and managed to distinguish herself as an independent individual even while her parents were around. She was asking Q's during the Q and A's and confidently communicating with the admission officials.

Just because other (primarily irrelevant) people don't spend a few seconds to consider the myriad of reasons explaining why reality plays out the way it does, doesn't mean you should inhibit yourself from engaging in activities that you would otherwise deem unproblematic.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I think the open house may be fine to bring mom along to. I think ASW is where it may be a bit weird to bring a parent along. In the end, I doubt anyone is going to remember. Don't listen to the idiots on TLS about social issues, haha.

4196 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Don't listen to the idiots on TLS about social issues, haha.

HEYYYYY!!!!!!!!! :'(

I'm not an idiot :(

• btsao650btsao650 Alum Member
    254 karma

I've been to a law school open house before and the split between those who brought parents and those who didn't was about 50/50. And if I'm to be totally honest, the likelihood of admissions officials remembering whether or not you brought your mom is slim. It's just as much as their job to impress YOU as it is for you to make a good impression on them!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2017 23929 karma

@TheMikey said:

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Don't listen to the idiots on TLS about social issues, haha.

HEYYYYY!!!!!!!!! :'(

I'm not an idiot :(

considering I'm on there very often, I, too, am an idiot. Specifically about social issues... I don't get out much, lmao :cry:

• ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    1184 karma

I went to some on my own, and when my dad was in town I brought him to a couple . He is my best friend and wanted to experience the excitement of my potential future with me. We both contributed to the discussion and I do not think it looked bad at all. When I went to visit UT everybody brought a parent with them.

• AnthonyScaliaAnthonyScalia Alum Member
    330 karma

In principle, I see no issue with bringing a parent. Choosing a law school is a major life decision, and if anything, I think it looks good that you take the matter seriously enough to involve people close to you.

My only caveat in practice would be to consider how your parents act in these kinds of situations. Parents love us and always mean well, but some parents like to involve themselves more than others, and if you know your mom or dad has a tendency to be argumentative, politically incorrect, or anything else you wouldn't want to be attributed to your application, you might want to go alone.

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

I took it that the question is whether or not one runs the risk of being so judged, not whether those judgements are actually warranted...yet some of the comments above seem to run those two things together.

Also, maybe I don't know enough about these open houses. What's the likelihood that someone at an open house will remember you when the applications are being evaluated? I'd say slim to none, but I could be wrong on this score.

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

Please don't. Law School is a professional endeavor it's wonderful that you're close with your mom... but would you take her to a job interview? The answer should be no.

You should be making an impression and a lasting memory at an open house, so when you call about your app or for other reasons a they can connect and identify you by some outstanding or positively memorable trait. "Brought Mom" shouldn't be one of them.

Have I seen parents at the 10+ open houses I've been to, sure... I've only seen it go well once and that was because the mother made sure to be separate from her daughter.

Just remeber they want to get to know you during this time.

• Yeah I totally brought both my parents to both law schools. They are paying for it and wanted to see where their money is going to. I feel like it would have been rude to not ask them. There were some questions that they asked that I personally haven't thought of. This is just my opinion though?

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

I don't think you should. If they want to come along on a personal tour and meet up later then sure but I think it's a bit odd to bring a parent or anyone else with you to the 'official' functions.

3679 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    I think the open house may be fine to bring mom along to. I think ASW is where it may be a bit weird to bring a parent along. In the end, I doubt anyone is going to remember. Don't listen to the idiots on TLS about social issues, haha.

What is "ASW"?

• tams2018tams2018 Member
    edited October 2017 727 karma

That is total and utter nonsense that bringing a parent sends the wrong message. The purpose of an open house is to ask questions and learn about the school. Its not the admissions office.

"Oh, University of 7sage Law rejected me because i brought my mom to the Open House."

Bring your mom.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    edited October 2017 5320 karma

I think what may be happening here is a little bit of non-traditional applicant bias. I agree with the commenters saying there is no reason to fear bringing your mom. This is not an interview. It's an open forum. Lots of over-thinking happening in the comments.

Just be aware that your mom will add to the impression you make, Though, I am not sure if that matters considering the likelihood that they would remember you for better or worse. However, I can't help but think of the SNL worst-case-scenario of this situation. Mom singing your praises to school reps and licking her finger to get that food crumb off your face while you're speaking with someone. I am sure this is not the case.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@tringo335 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

What is "ASW"?

admitted students weekend

3679 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@tringo335 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

What is "ASW"?

admitted students weekend

ah got it

3679 karma

@jkatz1488 said:
    I think what may be happening here is a little bit of non-traditional applicant bias. I agree with the commenters saying there is no reason to fear bringing your mom. This is not an interview. It's an open forum. Lots of over-thinking happening in the comments.

Just be aware that your mom will add to the impression you make, Though, I am not sure if that matters considering the likelihood that they would remember you for better or worse. However, I can't help but think of the SNL worst-case-scenario of this situation. Mom singing your praises to school reps and licking her finger to get that food crumb off your face while you're speaking with someone. I am sure this is not the case.

I do agree that it's probably mostly NTS opposed to it. I'm in my 30s and it would just be HELLA weird brining my parents lol. I understand if your parents are fronting some or all of the cost but my husband will also be chipping in to my law school bill and I wouldn't dream of him coming with me either. Like you said I think maybe it's an 'older student' thing.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

I haven't been able to attend any open houses, so maybe the vibe isn't what I imagine, but if I'm going to be speaking with professionals from the law school, I want to speak to them as a professional and potential colleague. If I'm with my mom, that's not what I'm going to be projecting.

With no consensus emerging, I'd be curious to see what @"David.Busis" thinks on this question.

• Trust But VerifyTrust But Verify Alum Member
    432 karma

I believe the fact that your asking, it'll make you more comfortable bringing your mom. I will say however, that even though she's paying, going to the open house vs hearing about it from you right after are pretty similar in this care. Either way, Admissions doesn't care. Bring your mom.

Sidebar: TLS is a good site for realistic. You'll meet more TLSers in life than 7sagers (metaphorically of course).

• tannyrmptannyrmp Alum Member
    30 karma

At the UT law day a girl brought her mom, and it was totally fine... until she asked a question that everyone in the room knew the answer to. (when will September lsat results be released). I think everyone answered at the same time which was a little awkward.

4196 karma

@"Trust But Verify" said:
    Sidebar: TLS is a good site for realistic. You'll meet more TLSers in life than 7sagers (metaphorically of course).

I love TLS (: . Yeah there are people on there who are very harsh sometimes, but there are also lots of great people. I've met so many of them at meet ups and those I have met are all amazing people!