Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Study Advice for December? (new member)

LauraC829LauraC829 Alum Member
edited October 2017 in General 218 karma

Hi All! I joined 7sage about a month ago and am currently near 40% through the CC of the starter pack. I'm taking it in December for the second time after taking a Testmasters course for the June exam (cancelled score because got nervous). I feel like i'm understanding everything so much better already, but I'm afraid I won't have enough time for real practice tests after I finish it all since the exam is coming up soon. I remember timing was an issue for me. What should I list as my "end" date for my study schedule? I can only study max 3-4 hrs a day since I work full-time unfortunately.

Thank you!!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Hey @LauraC829 ,

Welcome!

To be honest, it seems like you're between a rock and a hard place. On the one hand, taking plenty of PTs before you sit for the exam is crucial. On the other hand, you should really finish the CC before moving on to PTs.

Is there anyway you can take the test at a later date? That's realistically the only thing that makes sense that I can see...

• LauraC829LauraC829 Alum Member
    218 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Hey @LauraC829 ,

Welcome!

To be honest, it seems like you're between a rock and a hard place. On the one hand, taking plenty of PTs before you sit for the exam is crucial. On the other hand, you should really finish the CC before moving on to PTs.

Is there anyway you can take the test at a later date? That's realistically the only thing that makes sense that I can see...

I'm really trying to apply this cycle so not really an ideal option :/ But I guess what my question is, is the 7sage course supposed to prepare you to take the exam right after you finish? Or is designed assuming you'll have take time afterwards for practice tests/self-study/BR? I can finish the course a week or so before the exam and I know the study schedule includes PTs at the course right? Thank you!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2017 23929 karma

@LauraC829 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Hey @LauraC829 ,

Welcome!

I'm really trying to apply this cycle so not really an ideal option :/ But I guess what my question is, is the 7sage course supposed to prepare you to take the exam right after you finish? Or is designed assuming you'll have take time afterwards for practice tests/self-study/BR? I can finish the course a week or so before the exam and I know the study schedule includes PTs at the course right? Thank you!

The hard truth of applying to law school, like many things in life, is that our feelings and preferences don't matter much. I think all books and courses are designed under the assumption o you will be taking a good amount of practice exams before sitting for the exam. There's no majog number, so perhaps a handful will be all you need. However, I'm highly doubtful of that. When you finish the CC, your skills are still nascent; you need time to PT and blind review to reach your potential.

To be honest, I would plan on taking the test at a later date. Yeah, it sucks. I wanted to apply this cycle too but I also work and studying a ton is hard. There's no question that taking your time to learn this very learnable test will only serve to help you in the future.

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    edited October 2017 589 karma

The schedule sets up for you based on your end date will include whatever PTs come with your course level. So if you follow the schedule then yes you'll be done with everything a week before the test. However, of course this doesn't necessarily mean you'll be ready for the test. Or give you the opportunity to take a bit longer on areas of the curriculum that maybe aren't clicking right away. Each student is different, so while the schedule feature is obviously great for helping us stay on track, it doesn't guarantee that you'll be ready by the end of it or scoring at your potential. Several people on the forum have done the CC multiple times. I've definitely returned to sections of it on various occasions when I notice weak areas in my preparedness.

• LauraC829LauraC829 Alum Member
    218 karma

@LindsMitch said:
    The schedule sets up for you based on your end date will include whatever PTs come with your course level. So if you follow the schedule then yes you'll be done with everything a week before the test. However, of course this doesn't necessarily mean you'll be ready for the test. Or give you the opportunity to take a bit longer on areas of the curriculum that maybe aren't clicking right away. Each student is different, so while the schedule feature is obviously great for helping us stay on track, it doesn't guarantee that you'll be ready by the end of it or scoring at your potential. Several people on the forum have done the CC multiple times. I've definitely returned to sections of it on various occasions when I notice weak areas in my preparedness.

Merp, thanks for the honesty guys! I guess I thought having taken it already and studied for a few months with testmasters just the 7-sage CC and practice tests would reinforce things but I guess to reach my top potential just off of 7-sage I will need more time.

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

@LauraC829 Just to clarify, I wasn't saying there is absolutely no way you'll be ready. If you were just beginning your studies now I would say it would be unlikely you would be as ready as you could be by December.

But you are already quite familiar with the test and if the material really clicks for you, then maybe you could be ready! Once you get into the PTs obviously that will become clearer.