Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Average Score on older PT's vs newer

law_schoolguy42law_schoolguy42 Free Trial Member
in General 22 karma

Would anyone at 7sage be willing to settle the debate about whether the curve on older PT's (0-30's) really is easier than new PT's(70's-80's). This gets brought up in forums constantly. You guy's have all the data necessary to determine this. Do users tend to score higher on older tests vs newer tests?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Nope. I actually began studying with The LSAT Trainer and was only studying using the newer tests. As a result, I began to feel like the newer (PT52+) tests were much easier. Once I started 7Sage, I began drilling with older tests (1-35) and thought those were harder. Now I notice a difference but I wouldn't say one or the other is objectively harder.

• ktvarda1ktvarda1 Alum Member
    164 karma

From my personal experience, I tend to score lower on older PTs, on average. I think this debate is super subjective though. For example, I have a harder time with understanding the LR language in older PTs than newer PTs. Some people don't have issues with the language and some do. Personally, it takes me an extra second to understand the type of question it is. I think the newer PTs are clearer in what they're asking you to do. I may have that opinion since I originally started my preparation with newer PTs. I ran out of those so now diving into older ones. Also, I've noticed the games are much harder. Older PTs tend to throw in the games that are rare today. I heard the test was restructured by new LSAC administrators in the early 2000's (who create our tests today), but I have not done any research to confirm.

In regard to the conversion chart/curve, I really don't know. Sometimes the curve on older PTs are in your favor as opposed to the newer ones, and sometimes they aren't. I wouldn't say the test itself is "harder" per se (with exception to the games). It's just built a little differently than they are today, so it's really what you're more used to and how quickly you interpret the language, IMO! If language is no issue for you and you're prepared for any logic game, then the difference is miniscule. I'm more used to the newer ones, as I mentioned previously, since I started out with the newer ones. However, I do believe if you score well on the older PTs your score will be just fine on the newer ones.

I purchased The Next 10, 20 & 30 Actual, Official LSAT Preptests by LSAC and they include the conversion chart at the end of every PT from that year, so that is the only data I have. I'm not entirely sure how reliable it is, but being that it is published by LSAC, I would say it's the most reliable chart that we can get our hands on! Hope this helps & happy studying! :)

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

I think there is a tendency to score higher on the older tests initially. Not because they are objectively harder, but rather because we source our drilling material from that era. The test writers employ different tactics of difficulty in different eras but I really don't believe any particular decade of tests is harder than another. It's only a matter of identifying the new tactics and incorporating them into our knowledge base.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@jkatz1488 said:
    I think there is a tendency to score higher on the older tests initially. Not because they are objectively harder, but rather because we source our drilling material from that era. The test writers employ different tactics of difficulty in different eras but I really don't believe any particular decade of tests is harder than another. It's only a matter of identifying the new tactics and incorporating them into our knowledge base.

Well said!

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@"Alex Divine" a simple RRE question :smile:

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@jkatz1488 said:

Seconded. My score took a significant dip when I moved to newer PTs, but I think it wasn't necessarily because they are harder but that there's just a difference in some of the wording. I do feel like there are maybe more "trap" answer choices. But once you understand something like that, it clears things up. Took a minute to re-orient myself and then things leveled out. Also I think newer games are not necessarily easier but do seem to be almost more formulaic, so a little easier to do if you really nail the different game types.