Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does the same GPA coming from different UG institutions hold different weight?

smtaylor1217smtaylor1217 Free Trial Member

Will law schools and/or LSAC consider a GPA differently based on what institution it comes from?

I went to an UG liberal arts college known for rigorous coursework/ harsh grade deflation policies (i.e. in a class of 30+ people, only 2 students receive A's). Sometimes I was one of A's in the class, but often I was an A-/ B+. My GPA isn't bad, but I am wondering how it will stack up next to a higher GPA from a less difficult institution.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

The common wisdom is that a 4.0 in Thespian Dance Interpretation from Podunk Community College is going to be preferable than a 3.9 in Physics from MIT. In essence, numbers are what matter most. However, I do think admissions officers may take a more nuanced view than the common held wisdom suggests. I've seen those from Princeton (known for notorious grade deflation) get into great schools with less than stellar GPAs. I'm sure they also had good softs, but it really made me wonder if we underestimate the power of undergrad major/names a bit too much.