Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For retakers: choosing the same or a different test center?

madeleinemadeleine Alum Member
edited October 2014 in General 259 karma
I've taken the LSAT twice: December 2013 and September 2014 (cancelled). Both were taken at the same test center by my grandparents (I live in NYC but usually I go up and visit them and it's easier/less hectic of a commute on test day). The first time, I did fine. In September, I totally lost it. The chairs were making terrible noises, and one of the proctors was clearly ill with bronchitis and was coughing and also talking to a proctor-in-training during the test. I should have been able to block these things out the second time and I didn't.

So for test 3, the question is, to I take at the same place? I can't tell if I'd be better off in a new place, or return to the same place. The upside is I would know the territory, and anticipate possible distractions. But part of me thinks I should try another center to get away from my September debacle. Anyone faced this issue before? Would love thoughts on this. Thanks guys!

Comments

• joegotbored-1joegotbored-1 Alum Member
    edited October 2014 802 karma
    Madeleine,

I'll give the same advice to you as I've given to others...because it was given to me and it worked out. Take the test at a law school if you can. Typically you get the big long desks that wrap around a room that law schools seem to love. This ends up giving you tons of space to spread out and organize your stuff. The other advantage is that the proctors might be locally sourced... aka law school employees/admins. Not likely to be coughing up lungs and what not.

Think of it this way, the law school wants your money. What better way to impress a 0L than to give them a stellar LSAT environmental experience! Also, you should scout your site in advance to check things like chairs, AC vent noise, room echo, nearby construction, thermostat settings, lighting, and parking. Takes all the guess work out. Doesn't matter if you like the conditions so much... more so that you know what you're walking into and can prepare for it.

I think if you feel like the environment has been affecting your score outcomes, then just to remove that variable, I would switch to a new location. If you need to leave NY, go stay in a hotel in Connecticut or PA and do the test at a site there instead. If you can go upstate and find a location there, that works too. No reason to stay where you're not comfortable.

Make sure you're ready because you can only take it 3 times in any 2-year period. Don't use your 3rd if you're not prepared.

Good luck on the retake.