Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another Law School Fair Question

akrieglerakriegler Alum Member
in General 245 karma

So I've seen multiple posts recommending against bringing parents to law school visits/accepted student's days, and I totally get that. I'm wondering if it is ok to bring a parent to a law school fair. I've been searching for answers online and cannot seem to find anything!

Just some background info: I went to Villanova's law school fair this past week (myself) and noticed a few parents there (it was a relatively small fair). I'm going to the Philadelphia law school fair tomorrow, and I would like to bring my mom with me (if it doesn't leave a negative impression). My mom is kind of clueless about the whole admissions process and school rankings, but she tries to get really involved in it anyway. I appreciate her enthusiasm, but I want her to get a better feel for everything (especially since she's been helping me pay for lsat courses,tests, CAS, and everything else!) not to hate on any schools (because that's not cool) but for instance she views Weider as a top school and is begging me to apply there. My aspirations are a little higher and I'm hoping that bringing her would help her understand my viewpoint.

Comments

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

It seems like the 'parent' answer always varies by each person and there doesn't seem to be a right or wrong answer ---but I always say if it leaves even a slightly negative impression on any admissions rep then why chance it? If parents want insight into the process, they should just ask you or look up the school's themselves.

• akrieglerakriegler Alum Member
    245 karma

@tringo335 said:
    It seems like the 'parent' answer always varies by each person and there doesn't seem to be a right or wrong answer ---but I always say if it leaves even a slightly negative impression on any admissions rep then why chance it? If parents want insight into the process, they should just ask you or look up the school's themselves.

Good point. I don't live with her, but she has me on the phone for at least two hours a day talking about different schools, where her friends' kids went, etc. (wasting valuable study time!) and she never believes a word I say (the weidner example). Just thought it would help me in the long run (or at least until the December LSAT is over).