Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blind Review of Sept 2017 LSAT...

lawschool33lawschool33 Member
in General 100 karma

I took the September 2017 LSAT and didn’t do as well as I wanted. I just did a blind review and did slightly better, but I tracked my incorrect answers and discovered that the ones I miss are where I have the choices narrowed down to 2: the right answer and a wrong one. But I consistently pick the wrong one. Is there a way to fix this?

Comments

• FerdaFreshFerdaFresh Alum Member
    561 karma

@hannahmyers9551 said:
    I took the September 2017 LSAT and didn’t do as well as I wanted. I just did a blind review and did slightly better, but I tracked my incorrect answers and discovered that the ones I miss are where I have the choices narrowed down to 2: the right answer and a wrong one. But I consistently pick the wrong one. Is there a way to fix this?

Hi Hannah,

I want to let you in on a little insight that many people seem to miss -- you are probably far better at narrowing down between 2 answer choices than you give yourself credit for.

If I may, I'd like to suggest you go back and check to see all the questions you got RIGHT and consider if all of them were chosen with 100% confidence. I bet there might be some questions that don't fit this criterion (e.g. you didn't completely hate an attractive trap AC). While this doesn't fix your current issue directly, it may help you realize that you already do have it in you to choose between two really attractive ACs -- thus giving you the confidence to know you can pick more of the right ones in the future!

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

My experience has been that most 50-50s that ate difficult even without time pressure, ie during BR, are questions of degree. These include, but are not limited to Main Point and MSS. The key is identifying what is most important/vital to the argument. A main point question will have several answers that cover part of the passage, but might neglect a crucial piece. Or you might be asked about the authors view about say a new law. Trap ACs will be on the same side of the pro-against spectrum, but maybe miss the strength of conviction. Just because an authors likes the law, doesn't necessarily mean she "vehemently supports" for example.
    Same thing with mss. If you get down to one right and one wrong A.C., you need to evaluate whether you options are in line with the arguments in every way. The wrong answer choices are always going to seem attractive, but there's always a word, an emphasis that isn't in line. Or they state that something is stated when it is merely implied. And so on.
    I think this is where BR is most useful. If you can recognise why the correct answer choice is better than others, drill it into your mind for future similar questions, LR questions especially are highly repetitive. If you truly can't comprehend why an answer choice is right/wrong, and the forum, look up an explanation of talk to a study buddy, it's crucial to leave the question with an understanding of the logic behind the answer!!

• nnezeakwiwu21nnezeakwiwu21 Alum Member
    176 karma

My experience in those type of situations is to skip the question for that moment and answer the ones that you are completely sure of before getting back to that question/ questions. You maybe attempting a present question but your mind is subconsciously working at that one that you skipped and when you get back you may have a better understanding of the question and choose the better option. This is my suggestion.