Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NA question approach

LivePumpkinLivePumpkin Free Trial Member

I am wondering if my approach to NA questions is wrong? Despite some concerns about my approach I am still usually getting the correct answer; however, this is not good for test day!

1) I read the question stem

2) Read the stimulus, but look for the conclusion

3) Find the support

4) Try and find a gap between the conclusion and support (but I struggle with this step sometimes).

5) I usually get answer choices down to 2-3 (mostly 2)

6) At this point I’m sort of confused so I just try and negate the remaining answer choices. But sometimes when I negate both answer choices, I feel as if both would destroy the argument?

Thoughts/advice??? What is your approach to NA questions? Thank you! ?

Comments

• FerdaFreshFerdaFresh Alum Member
    561 karma

This is completely a topical consideration that should always be supplemented by fundamental logic. Nonetheless, it's a practical solution to have.

If you're down to 2 questions, consider two things:
    (1) applying the negation test.
    (2) deciding which one is "weaker" (this requires a grasp of the fundamental logic, however. Attractive traps can be weak and still not necessary)

• btate87btate87 Alum Member
    782 karma

NA is a great question type to do lots of untimed practice with. It's definitely good to have strategies when you're down to contenders, but your goal should be to know what you're looking for before you get to AC's. (For tougher questions the negation test is definitely great as there will be tricky trap answers). Before you get too bogged down in answer strategy, though, I would do as many NA questions as you can and don't be afraid to spend 5+ minutes on just the stimulus if you need. Diagram conditional statements when possible and also write out in words some possible ways to phrase a correct answer.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@LivePumpkin I also keep in mind which AC MBT and/or weakens the conclusion when down to 2-3 AC.