Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to figure out which section is the experimental?

Harmmanb-1Harmmanb-1 Alum Member
edited October 2017 in General 126 karma

I was watching this video: and the professor brings up the experimental section around 10 minutes into the video, and how some can discern the experimental section via the exponential difficulty increase as compared to the non experimental section. Only want to know so I don't start freaking out during the test if there is a dramatic increase in one of the sections.

Comments

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

The experimental section is not always harder than the rest of the test. It's generally a bad idea to try to figure out which section is experimental while taking the test. That said, if one encounters a particularly hard section early on in the test and is in danger of feeling dejected because of it, it is a good psychological trick to tell yourself that that there is a good chance that this was the experimental section.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited October 2017 10774 karma

I think one thing I would say is, it doesn't matter if a section is real or experimental, its all about learning to just not freak out on the test. I honestly think you cannot determine if a test is experimental vs real. Moreover, you only have 35 minutes and literally each second on this test is valuable. Using that time to determine if something is real or experimental would just waste time. Moreover, if it turns out you are wrong that cost of that mistake could be enormous.

I think a better way to approach the test is to learn how to not freak out during sections no matter what happens and give each section an equal chance.

• Marco AntonioMarco Antonio Alum Member
    199 karma

I'm going to echo what others have said above. The bottom line is that you just don't have enough time to worry about which section is or isn't experimental. You need to focus on that task at hand, namely, answering the questions appropriately and focusing on your timing strategy. The point of the experimental section is to test out new material. They generally aren't going to make it obvious which section is experimental, so at best all you can do it hope.

Let's say somehow you do figure out which section is experimental and you're right. Then what happens when you're faced with a question that you particularly struggle with in another section? What if it's not just a question, but a whole string of questions? What if you decide that you actually did better on the experimental section that on some other one? Are you suddenly going to change you mind? What does that get you? These are all dead-end questions that don't benefit you and eat up your stamina and cause mental fatigue. My best advice is to breathe through the anxiety and re-focus.