Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice needed: considerations when transitioning to 7Sage from other methodologies

Hey all,

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Thanks in advance if you read all the way through this!

I have been studying since April 2017 to take the December 2017 LSAT. I originally bought the kaplan book (useless!), before discovering powerscore and working through the trilogy. On my last 5 timed PTs I have scored between 170-173 (averages: LG, -2. RC, -4. LR, -2). This inflates my preparedness, as these scores are contingent on guesses between two possible answers on a question without being sure which is correct, and the occasional guess on a question after I have run out of time. Unfortunately, I only very recently learned about the 7Sage blind review method.

Because I still have 2 years to go on my BA, there is no need for a December writing, so I have rescheduled to Feb 2018. I currently have around 15 "clean" PTs left, all between 65 and more recent.

This brings me to my questions:

Because I already have done substantial preparation, what is the best way for my to make use of the the 7Sage program? Would you still recommend at start at the beginning of the course material? Would my previous preparation change the way I should study?

Also, what course pack should I purchase? Would it be worth it to purchase the Ultimate+ package even though I only have a few months until I sit my exam (I'm thinking specifically about the explanations of the newer Preptests)?

Anything else I'm not considering?

Comments

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    edited October 2017 1091 karma

Although you are more prepared than I was when I moved over to 7sage, I was also doing pretty well on PTs. I had only used the PowerScore LG Bible when I was PTing in the mid-high 160s. I think I still benefitted immensely from going through the 7sage Core Curriculum.

I realised at some point that I was choosing answers on LR because they just felt right. I blitzed through sections but my lack of strategy meant that I was struggling to actually improve my scores. By using the Core Curriculum I gave myself strategies to attack questions where I felt stuck. It sounds like this might be of use for you too, since you say your scores are sometimes contingent on guesses.

The one caveat is that I got worse at LR before I got better, having used the core curriculum. I'm not sure if you could unlearn your bad habits and re-learn better ones by February.

But this raises another point. You have 2 years left on your BA... why worry about the LSAT right now? Another way to look at your situation is this... You are already at a170-173 level and you have 2 years left to prepare. You improve even further in those 2 years! Even if you went from a 172 average to a 174, the difference could be life-changing. Further, you are in a fortunate position of still having control over your final UGPA. The advice I see most often is to first focus on earning as close to a 4.0 GPA as possible, before you worry about the LSAT. Now, for you, things are a bit different, since you're already good at the LSAT. But still I would keep your GPA in the back of your mind when thinking about how much to commit to the LSAT this coming year.

As for which course to chose... with only 15 clean PTs left I'm not sure if you'd find Ultimate+ worth it. You've already used a lot of PTs. But that's just my 2 cents.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited November 2019 1777 karma

Hello! With your outstanding PT scores, I would say that if you decide to purchase a program, you should go for Ultimate+. It is the only program with the rough questions. I would run through the videos for all of the question types that you are having any difficulty with, and then use the question bank to look for hard (4/5 difficulty) and hardest (5/5 difficulty) questions for each type of problem. Financially, it is probably a smart move because getting a few more questions right can increase your scholarship money by more than the $749 you'd spend on the program.

Also, you have 18 months of access with this program. I think that taking the test when you feel fully prepared is fine, since your score is good for 5 years. No need to keep stressing until your senior year!

Good luck!
    Sam

[Admin note: Ultimate+ includes 12 months now]