Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inadvertent Memory Recall

Lsat taker22Lsat taker22 Alum Member
in General 315 karma

Hey all,

I'll dive right into it - I am struggling with something called an inadvertent memory recall (made the name up) when re-doing practice tests. I don't know if this is a real "science" thing or if someone in the community mentioned this already (searched after doing some light research) but its something I'm struggling with. I have my own solutions posted below and extremely curious to hear what you're thoughts are to avoid this habit.

Here's an example, about 2-3 months ago I wrote PT 73 and recently re-took it. I noticed that I was inadvertently 'lax' when doing both LR sections, which at the time felt strange. While I was in 'lax mode' (which I try to avoid at all times) in the LR sections, however, I caught myself recalling bits of information I remembered up when I first took the exam! This is clearly a big no-no as it can lead to a highly inaccurate score, hinder my ability to get better and, worst of all, it may as well be a false indicator of genuine improvements. My last PT was a 168, but after taking PT 73 my score was 155! I practically went back to my 'old self' when I re-took this exam when, clearly, I improved.

My 2 solutions to this accident are as follows:

• Purposefully give yourself tunnel vision and magnify into each word when reading the LR stim.

• If a piece of 'old self' information creeps up on you while doing an LR question, quickly sling your ass back to reality (much like a rubber band) and restart at the top of the stim.

That's my 2 cents. Curious to hear other remedies or advice!