Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Necessary Assumption Questions

jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member

Heyyy 7sagers,

I have literally looked at 7sage, LSAT Trainer, and Kaplan's approach to necessary assumption questions and I just don't get it.

I have been drilling these questions down and I still have trouble with them. It takes me super long to get the answer if I somehow do even get them correct.

What has worked for y'all? I can use all the help I can get.

Comments

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

Honestly, I would get a tutor if you can afford it. I feel like I may have to if I can't get sufficient assumptions down. I look at the tutoring as an investment. If I can get another two questions right on the exam, that could get me into a better school or earn me some scholarship money (which is much more valuable than the $100-$200 I'd spend on a tutor).

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

There is a webinar on NA by @"Quick Silver" (Jimmy Dahroug):
    https://7sage.com/webinar/necessary-assumptions/

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@jennybbbbb NA and SA were killers for me. For NA I think of what MBT and what weakens the conclusion when I'm just completely lost. Thinking about what's "required" just wasn't registering with me even though I'm fully aware of what it means. I also look for too strongly worded AC to eliminate. You use the negation technique too, right? You're not having success even if you negate all the AC? What is it that you're having the issue with? Is it spotting or noticing the gap between the premises and conclusion or something else? Also, have you searched on TLS? I tend to always find something there that helps in one way or another. I would also just Google NA questions. It all boils down to the same stuff but all you need is a different perspective that clicks with you.

• jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
    630 karma

@akistotle @tanes256

I have watched that seminar, but I am still struggling.

I find myself having trouble on the harder necessary assumption questions so I really have no idea what to do. Maybe its because I don't understand the gap between the premise and conclusion, but I don't know how to get around this since I have been drilling down NA questions and then reviewing them afterwards.

• joycool9567joycool9567 Alum Member
    133 karma

I think hard NA question is hard no matter what. Theres no way other than minimizing the time spent on formal logic. flaw . and conclusion questions. These questions only ask us to identify the structure so gets relatively easier as time goes by.
    I would say other than negation test there really isnt any other method to effectively tackle na questions.

I eliminate things that would be irrelevant and run negation tests only to two to three candidate choices. It works for me fine most of da time