PT20.S2.P3 - many birds that form flocks

705163503-1705163503-1 Free Trial Member
edited November 2017 in Reading Comprehension 6 karma

The whole argument is about SSH mechanism.But I think there is a huge mistake.All the author wants to prove is that the SSH is an independent factor affecting bird's status.And he did it.The question is that if a juvenile male bird with higher SSH confronts an adult male bird with lower SSH,who will win?And according to author, this question cannot be answered,because these factors are independent.So how can the SSH mechanism achieves its goal that it can reduce the conflicts?

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-20-section-2-passage-3-passage/

Comments

• CrispyCritterCrispyCritter Free Trial Member
    155 karma

I disagree that the question you posed cannot be answered based on the passage. The author attacks Rohwer's conclusion that plumage variation in sparrows supports the SSH b/c it cannot does not explain status variation among Individuals, saying it thus cannot be properly characterized as status signing. The author then goes on to discuss the titmouse and explain why they provide the best evidence for the SSH. Implied here is that width of the breast stipe CAN account for variations in status of inviduals that are not part of the same age group for example. So, back to you theoretical, while the author may concede that width of breast strip is positively correlated with age, he/she would still assert that a young mouse with a wider breast stripe would be signaling a higher social status than an adult with a smaller one

• 705163503-1705163503-1 Free Trial Member
    6 karma

I am still a little bit confused. Those factors may be positively correlated with SSH,but the function of SSH is to be used in the real bird's world(as the author discussed),and the ideal situation(other factors are same)is rare. So maybe a bird's width of the breast stripe is slightly narrower than another but is five years older than it. And the former bird may win the fight. What I really doubt is its function in the real bird's world.> @grantfollis said:

I disagree that the question you posed cannot be answered based on the passage. The author attacks Rohwer's conclusion that plumage variation in sparrows supports the SSH b/c it cannot does not explain status variation among Individuals, saying it thus cannot be properly characterized as status signing. The author then goes on to discuss the titmouse and explain why they provide the best evidence for the SSH. Implied here is that width of the breast stipe CAN account for variations in status of inviduals that are not part of the same age group for example. So, back to you theoretical, while the author may concede that width of breast strip is positively correlated with age, he/she would still assert that a young mouse with a wider breast stripe would be signaling a higher social status than an adult with a smaller one