December / February LSAT - want to apply for 2018

echoburnsechoburns Free Trial Member
in General 6 karma

Hi All,

I want to have all my apps in by end of February and really want to enroll in Fall 2018. I am currently scoring in the150s and studying while working full time ( been studying since end of July). I plan to take December's test and then study all of January ( hopefully not working at all) and take again in February.

Wondering if anyone could help weigh in on whether or not this sounds crazy... I am 30 and don't want to wait another year to go to law school, but do currently have student loan debt from a Masters in Studio Art so scholarship $$ will be a significant factor.

Thanks,
P

Comments

• kjsmith914kjsmith914 Alum Member
    226 karma

If scholarship is a big factor for you, I would advise to wait another year. As JY and many users on here consistently emphasize, a few points on the LSAT could potentially mean tens of thousands of dollars in scholarship money. I understand not wanting to delay any longer, but in the long run it may be cheaper to continue to study and apply earlier next cycle with a higher score.

• kmzz7036kmzz7036 Live Member
    26 karma

I would also advise to wait one more year. If age is an issue for you keep in mind a lot of applicants apply who aren't K-JD. Me, for example, will be 33 when I apply next fall. This is after choosing to sit out this cycle to give myself ample time to boost my LSAT score, have more time to work on applications, and give myself the chance to apply early with full confidence in September. I decided I'd rather be a little older when I go to law school and potentially have less debt due to a better LSAT score/application than rush everything this application season and pay more $$. We all choose to apply for different reasons but I would take a look at pros/cons to applying this season vs next.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I also think that you should wait another year. If you could save $30,000- $100,000 by waiting, it seems like the clear choice to me. However, if you don't think you will be able to bring your score up by more than 2 points, I'd just take it now.