Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Published data: relative difficulty of sections?

TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
in General 711 karma

I know that some sections of the same type are tougher than others.
Does 7Sage or anyone else publish data about the relative difficulty of different sections?

Trying to figure out if my relative difficulty with a given LR section was due to lots of questions of a question type that Im weaker in or if the overall section was more difficult.

Im sure 7sage has the capability to calculate this, but wasn't sure if they'd made it public.

Comments

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

Also, im just a data nerd. :B

• FerdaFreshFerdaFresh Alum Member
    561 karma

I mean you could always use 7Sage's section difficulty ranker out of 5 under LSAT Analytics. Sorry if you already knew about that... if you're looking for something better than that I'll doubt you'll find anything. I know LSAC released a public document explaining how they have means of assessing the difficulty of every section so that every test roughly translates to the same difficulty, but that was published a long time ago and I'm pretty sure they've been hush hush on it since.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I think 7Sage's LSAT Analytics is the best way to get that data. I don't think there's any LSAC released data on section difficulty.

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

Do you mean the "passage/game" difficulty ranker? This wouldn't tell me much about LR. However, I presumably could calculate the section difficulty by averaging each question's 1-5 ranking as it is listed there. I could calculate this quickly if I had this in an excel sheet, but the "export data" function doesn't export the question difficulty--only my answers + the correct answer (and doing it by hand for a bunch of testswould probably take a really long time).

Unless I'm totally missing where "7Sage's section difficulty ranker out of 5" is for LR!

Thanks for this info! :)

• FerdaFreshFerdaFresh Alum Member
    561 karma

@"nicolas.saw" said:
    Unless I'm totally missing where "7Sage's section difficulty ranker out of 5" is for LR!

That's exactly what's happening right now! Go to "Trends" then there's a "Section Performance" list that you can scroll down through!

• REISINGJAMESREISINGJAMES Alum Member
    45 karma

Kaplan explanation books will give a 1-4 star ranking to every individual question. The stars are gauged by how many people missed questions, with only the ten most missed questions per test receiving a "4-star" ranking. You could average the aggregate star ratings per section if you wanted; while that won't necessarily tell you how difficult the section will be for you (because it all comes down to personal strengths and weaknesses), it can give you an OK idea as to whether many people struggled with the section or not. If a particular RC section, for example, has four/five of ten of the most missed questions on the exam... well, I'd consider that a difficult section.

But again, it's all relative. I like it; it lets me know when I'm missing questions everyone else missed - and when I've got some work to do, say, on easy Strengthen or Main Point questions.