Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diversity Statement

I am a little bit out of the box and would love to get as many views on this as possible from folks who are going through the same process as I trying to get apps ready. I am shortly to become a vowed religious in a cloistered Benedictine monastery. I am thinking about writing a diversity statement on this, in part to explain while I won't be doing the normal summer routine of most L1 and L2 students. So, my post grad lawyering will be a non-paid position with a "non-profit." Or, does this go into a short addendum? I don't think it is fitting to get too much into the spiritual aspects of it, because everyone's beliefs are a private matter. I don't want the ad comm members to go blind from rolling their eyes to the back of their head.

Comments

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    edited November 2017 1091 karma

I think this goes in to the category of 'write one if you can write one well'. I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I'm a US citizen but have lived abroad my entire life, so in that sense I have a different perspective from most applicants, but it's not traditional diversity in the sense of being from part of an under-represented group. If I submit a diversity statement it will be because I can write one that is well-written and, like you say, doesn't cause the adcom to roll their eyes.

To me personally your circumstances seem unique and I wouldn't roll my eyes reading about how you are different from the typical law school applicant.