Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are Law Schools aware that you will be retaking the LSAT?

sbzan25sbzan25 Alum Member

Hey everyone,

I'm a little worried that law schools (in Ontario) will not know that I am writing the LSAT in December. My concern is that they will only look at the score from September and base whatever judgements off of that.

However, I did select my "future test date" on OLSAS... so is this how schools will all know that I will have another score coming in soon?

Thank you so much!

Happy studying :)

• Sasha

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

They expect it can happen and are ready to look at the new score. It'll usually take quite sometime before they finish looking at the file.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Yes. They will usually hold your file and review it when the new score posts.

• kshutes13kshutes13 Member
    634 karma

I'm applying within Ontario as well, and you should double check the admissions sections/LSAT requirements on some of the schools' websites. For writing December/February, Ottawa U says:

Please note that if an LSAT score exists in your file, your file will be evaluated based on that score. The admissions committee will not necessarily wait until February to assess your file.

Not sure if that would apply to you as well since you are writing in December, but it's worth looking into!

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

I made this post in a related discussion post but thought I'd paste it here:

TL;DR: Yes, your schools will know you are retaking. Also: it might raise a flag for a school that you are retaking and they will probably want to know why. I would recommend writing an addendum.

If you send it in now and not mention it at all to your schools, I think some schools may go ahead and review your application anyway (and then you could likely use your later score to negotiate for higher scholarships after being granted admissions, but if not granted admissions, I don't think they will re-review your score in light of your December score). Alternatively: the school may see that you are retaking it and then will table your application until your December score comes in. It will likely depend on the school. Again, this is the scenario in which you don't say anything about it.

But I wouldn't do that. I would recommend mentioning something in an addendum to explain why you are retaking, as it shows some transparency and will help to guide their decision to how to review your application in light of this retake.

I am in a similar scenario: I sat for the September LSAT but because I live in Central Florida and my house got hit with a hurricane a few days before the test day, I wasn't psychologically fit for the exam (though I sat for it anyway). So I wrote an addendum about it. However, this admissions consultant still encouraged me to submit my application earlier with the simple addendum even though my score won't be in until January.

I would actually encourage you to write a simple addendum that explains why you're retaking that doesn't say "I just want to get a higher score". Otherwise, this shows the admissions reader that you initially took the exam when you weren't fully prepared. But say, maybe you were feeling sick or had some emotional factors that negatively impacted your first score, which might be a more justified reason to retake. Either way, I think an addendum will help clear up and potential flag that may arise as a result of having a pending score.

• sbzan25sbzan25 Alum Member
    42 karma

Thank you for your help!

All of my applications were due November 1st so I did not write an addendum :( But in my personal statement I did say that I am writing in December because my September score did not reflect the scores I have been getting all of this time. In my personal statement instructions I was given the opportunity to talk about anything that did not go as well or smoothly (e.g. previous courses where you may have gotten a lower grade, low LSAT score, etc.,), so I did write a good section acknowledging my intentions... I pray that is going to be helpful?!

@"nicolas.saw" said:
    I made this post in a related discussion post but thought I'd paste it here:

TL;DR: Yes, your schools will know you are retaking. Also: it might raise a flag for a school that you are retaking and they will probably want to know why. I would recommend writing an addendum.

If you send it in now and not mention it at all to your schools, I think some schools may go ahead and review your application anyway (and then you could likely use your later score to negotiate for higher scholarships after being granted admissions, but if not granted admissions, I don't think they will re-review your score in light of your December score). Alternatively: the school may see that you are retaking it and then will table your application until your December score comes in. It will likely depend on the school. Again, this is the scenario in which you don't say anything about it.

But I wouldn't do that. I would recommend mentioning something in an addendum to explain why you are retaking, as it shows some transparency and will help to guide their decision to how to review your application in light of this retake.

I am in a similar scenario: I sat for the September LSAT but because I live in Central Florida and my house got hit with a hurricane a few days before the test day, I wasn't psychologically fit for the exam (though I sat for it anyway). So I wrote an addendum about it. However, this admissions consultant still encouraged me to submit my application earlier with the simple addendum even though my score won't be in until January.

I would actually encourage you to write a simple addendum that explains why you're retaking that doesn't say "I just want to get a higher score". Otherwise, this shows the admissions reader that you initially took the exam when you weren't fully prepared. But say, maybe you were feeling sick or had some emotional factors that negatively impacted your first score, which might be a more justified reason to retake. Either way, I think an addendum will help clear up and potential flag that may arise as a result of having a pending score.

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

@sbzanelli Yeah! That sounds about right. :) I think they'll get it. Even just mentioning it is better than not all all addressing it. So I think you're good!

• Jason KanderJason Kander Free Trial Member
    90 karma

I also have a similar question:

I applied with my Sept score and did not mention that I will take the Dec LSAT. The reason being: I am registered but I am not sure if I want to sit for it, so I might withdraw. Some schools have already interviewed me and they made no mention of my December LSAT.

Worst case scenario: If my score goes down will it negatively impact my application??

I know they only report the highest score, but I am looking for some insight to this. Please mention your source too. Sorry, I am skeptical because I have received several different, ambiguous responses to this.

Any recommendations?