Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retake or Continue Applying? Please help!

ymca.choiymca.choi Free Trial Member
in General 36 karma

Hi, this is my first time starting a post here since I prefer to be a silent reader but I've been lost in decision for quite some time. I need help!

I took the LSAT this September after nearly a full year of part-time LSAT studying and got a score that was a bit below my average but within range - 164. I was hoping for a 167 but after getting my worst section, RC, as my experimental in the very first section of the test (it was my most feared scenario), I was slightly drained.
So, I ended up with LSAT score of 164 and GPA of 3.89.

I really want this studying to end but at the same time, I don't want to regret not having taken my chance to get a higher score. But I'm not completely sure I'll be able to score higher. I am registered for the December LSAT and some schools I've already applied to are aware of this. I'm really lost as to what I should do.
Should I retake in two weeks with the hope of hitting my actual average score or just focus on continuing with the applications? Honestly, I've lost my motivation for studying and haven't really been studying for the past few weeks. But do I even have a realistic chance of getting into t14 in the east coast?

Sorry for the ranting and I would really appreciate some advice! :blush:

Comments

• mark mccumbermark mccumber Alum Member
    58 karma

I know you said you haven't effectivly studied in the last two weeks but It'd be good to take a timed PT to see where you're at, and base your decision off that score. If its where you want I would go forward with taking in December, and if not then I sill would go forward with taking in December but just cancel if I felt it didn't go well on test day,

• ymca.choiymca.choi Free Trial Member
    36 karma

@"mark mccumber" said:
    I know you said you haven't effectivly studied in the last two weeks but It'd be good to take a timed PT to see where you're at, and base your decision off that score. If its where you want I would go forward with taking in December, and if not then I sill would go forward with taking in December but just cancel if I felt it didn't go well on test day,

Thank you for replying! You're probably right. But I forgot to mention that I actually applied ED to UPenn already. So if in the small chance that I do get accepted, I will have gone through a retake for no real reason. That is what makes me hesitate the most. Or the possibility of scoring even lower than before. I will try taking a PT as you suggested! :smile:

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Unless you're an AA URM, you have virtually no chance with your stats as they are now of gaining admission into a T14 school. You should absolutely retake if your goal is a T14 school. I think with about a 167-168 score you would have a great shot at some of the lower T14 schools like Cornell.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Unless you're an AA URM, you have virtually no chance with your stats as they are now of gaining admission into a T14 school. You should absolutely retake if your goal is a T14 school. I think with about a 167-168 score you would have a great shot at some of the lower T14 schools like Cornell.

Georgetown publishes a median of 167, but the 25th is 162 and the 75th is 168. I'm curious what the average is, and whether a 164 comes close to it.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@10000019 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

Georgetown publishes a median of 167, but the 25th is 162 and the 75th is 168. I'm curious what the average is, and whether a 164 comes close to it.

Georgetown isn't technically in the T14 anymore. But yeah, with those stats (3.89/164) I think OP would have above a coin flip's chance at Georgetown, at least according to anecdata and MyLsn.info

• ymca.choiymca.choi Free Trial Member
    36 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@10000019 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

Georgetown isn't technically in the T14 anymore. But yeah, with those stats (3.89/164) I think OP would have above a coin flip's chance at Georgetown, at least according to anecdata and MyLsn.info

Thank you for replying! So I guess taking the December LSAT is unavoidable if I am aiming for the t14. If I was waitlisted at the schools and I decided to take the February LSAT as well, do you think the schools would reconsider accepting me if the score was higher? I really appreciate the help :smiley:

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"ymca.choi" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@10000019 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

Thank you for replying! So I guess taking the December LSAT is unavoidable if I am aiming for the t14. If I was waitlisted at the schools and I decided to take the February LSAT as well, do you think the schools would reconsider accepting me if the score was higher? I really appreciate the help :smiley:

Of course :)

Retake in December/February, and schools will definitely reconsider taking you off their waitlist. I truly think with just a 2-3 more points, with your high GPA, you'll be bale to get into a few top14 schools!

Good luck