Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Struggling on LSAT Preps, 144 Avg.!

MuhammadXIIMuhammadXII Member
in General 18 karma

Hello everyone,

I have been studying for a month, and have been struggling to improve my LSAT score. I am stuck at an average of 144 in my last four LSAT prep tests. Should I just give up at this point?

I do well in the Logical reasoning (20/25 avg.), but struggle greatly with logic games and reading comprehension (struggle is an understatement). I was supposed to write my LSAT on Saturday, but withdrew (clearly, I am not ready).

It's a shame too, because my calculated uGPA was 4.01. :(

Please help.

Comments

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    1091 karma

I see you've got the Starter course. How much of it have you completed? If you've already gone through it, perhaps going through it again would help. Also, are you strictly following the blind review process for your PTs?

• MuhammadXIIMuhammadXII Member
    edited November 2017 18 karma

@"Rigid Designator" said:
    I see you've got the Starter course. How much of it have you completed? If you've already gone through it, perhaps going through it again would help. Also, are you strictly following the blind review process for your PTs?

No, I am not doing blind review, and yes, I do have the starter. I am just doing the tests and going through them. Should I start doing the blind review method? Is it really helpful? I did well on all of the problem sets, but that's only because almost all of them were easy. When I actually did the test, I struggled and had a bit of difficulty actually applying the concepts I learned during the course because of the fact that time's important. I do have my course extended until January 5th, and might extend it until February. But yeah, it has been just very difficult for me to apply what I learned during the course to my prep tests, especially when it comes to RC and LG. I feel like I have spent a lot of money, but not seen any results. :(

edited November 2017 1091 karma

@MuhammadXII said:

No, I am not doing blind review, and yes, I do have the starter. I am just doing the tests and going through them. Should I start doing the blind review method? Is it really helpful? I did well on all of the problem sets, but that's only because almost all of them were easy. When I actually did the test, I struggled and had a bit of difficulty actually applying the concepts I learned during the course because of the fact that time's important. I do have my course extended until January 5th, and might extend it until February. But yeah, it has been just very difficult for me to apply what I learned during the course to my prep tests, especially when it comes to RC and LG. I feel like I have spent a lot of money, but not seen any results. :(

I would go back to the syllabus and go over the section about Blind Review again. J.Y. really emphasizes its importance, and for good reason. Blind Reviewing your tests will help you to pin down your weaknesses, which will help you improve.

For example, maybe on Blind Review you notice that you can get 24/24 on a Logic Games section untimed. This would suggest that timing is your issue, so that gives you something to work on. Or maybe you realize that even with unlimited time you can't get a perfect score on a Logic Games section. This would suggest the need to go over your fundamentals again - maybe setting up game boards, recognizing inferences etc.

edited November 2017 1091 karma

@MuhammadXII said:
    But yeah, it has been just very difficult for me to apply what I learned during the course to my prep tests, especially when it comes to RC and LG. I feel like I have spent a lot of money, but not seen any results. :(

One other thing to note in response to this... The Blind Review part of your prep is the best time for you to apply the concepts you learn from the course, because you are giving yourself unlimited time to work out an answer and see if you understand the question properly. During a full timed PT you will struggle to apply everything you've learned because you will be time pressured. Blind Review relieves this time pressure.

• JESUS LIVES 7JESUS LIVES 7 Core Member
    26 karma

I pray in Jesus Name For you Muhammad. Just Keep working at it. God is in Control. I'm in the same position and taking it on Saturday. I've put in a lot of time and money into LSAT Prep but have not seen the results I would like,but I Trust that the LORD knows what He is doing. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path. Proverbs 3:5-6

18 karma

@MuhammadXII said:

I would go back to the syllabus and go over the section about Blind Review again. J.Y. really emphasizes its importance, and for good reason. Blind Reviewing your tests will help you to pin down your weaknesses, which will help you improve.

For example, maybe on Blind Review you notice that you can get 24/24 on a Logic Games section untimed. This would suggest that timing is your issue, so that gives you something to work on. Or maybe you realize that even with unlimited time you can't get a perfect score on a Logic Games section. This would suggest the need to go over your fundamentals again - maybe setting up game boards, recognizing inferences etc.

Thanks mate, I will try this now. In all honesty, time is most likely the problem I am dealing with. Because of time, and the fact that it takes a while for me to comprehend what it written, I immediately jump through the answers without giving them a second thought. I have gone through the section on the Blind Review, but I have not actually done it. I guess I should start doing it beginning today. If it does indeed end up being that timing is my issue, then, I need to improve my timing some how. Thanks for your advice, you have been very helpful. I guess it is best for me to do a few blind reviews before jumping into an actual practice test. Now that I have a few months to study, might as well make them count. I enjoyed the lessons and they were very helpful. In fact, I do believe that 7Sage is indeed the best LSAT prep material out there. Let me do what you have advised and I will get back to you in a few days. If time does indeed end up being the problem, then I will need to work on improving this aspect of my LSAT. Also, I do sometimes have problems with pattern recognition when it comes to LG, so there's that as well.

18 karma

@MuhammadXII said:
    But yeah, it has been just very difficult for me to apply what I learned during the course to my prep tests, especially when it comes to RC and LG. I feel like I have spent a lot of money, but not seen any results. :(

One other thing to note in response to this... The Blind Review part of your prep is the best time for you to apply the concepts you learn from the course, because you are giving yourself unlimited time to work out an answer and see if you understand the question properly. During a full timed PT you will struggle to apply everything you've learned because you will be time pressured. Blind Review relieves this time pressure.

Thanks mate, appreciate it. I guess I will do a blind review today and let you know how I do, thanks for the advice!

18 karma

@"JESUS LIVES 7" said:
    I pray in Jesus Name For you Muhammad. Just Keep working at it. God is in Control. I'm in the same position and taking it on Saturday. I've put in a lot of time and money into LSAT Prep but have not seen the results I would like,but I Trust that the LORD knows what He is doing. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path. Proverbs 3:5-6

Thanks, appreciate it! I am not religious, but regardless, I appreciate your advice. I wish you all the best on your test on Saturday. :)