Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think I know the answer but hoping for advice anyway ):

sandypantssandypants Alum Member
in General 231 karma

I don't really have anyone knowledgeable in my life to talk to about this, so I am hoping for some of y'alls advice regarding withdrawing from the Dec LSAT and waiting a year to apply.

To begin, I had my heart set on going to law school during Fall 2018. I made this decision this May, however, which gave me only 4ish months to study for the September LSAT. I took it and got a 161, which was below my PT averages by about 5-6 points. I am set on attending a top 20 school, but I know with my score chances are slim (my GPA is 3.8), especially since I need scholarship considerations. Between September and now I didn't have too much time to study because of busy season with my job, and so I don't feel prepared enough to get a 170+ and conquer this next test. I don't feel that I have reached my full potential at all. A part of me wants to say "YOLO" and take the test on Saturday and hope for the best, but the more rational side says its probably not a good idea. If I wait, I would take the test in June. It feels very far away. Also, I feel like just having two test scores is better than 3 if I took it and did poorly on Saturday. I could also just settle and go to a non-top 20 school, but I don't really want to do that.

After writing this above paragraph it seems pretty obvious that I should wait a year lol.

However, some of my other considerations are that if I wait until next year to apply, I'm going to be 29 when I graduate!! That seems like such an awkward/old age? Not young enough to be a fresh grad but not old enough to have a ton of experience, so it it feels like a bad age for hiring prospects. It also feels like my whole life is being delayed even longer, which is one of my bigger issues. I would have to figure out what I'm going to do until Fall 2019, but at this moment it feels like over a year and a half of waiting until I get to go to school.

Another question I have is regarding my recommendation letters. I already obtained the two I was planning on using for applications, but can I just keep them on hold until October of next year? That's basically letting them sit for 10 months... Do I have to ask my professors to re-write the letters?

I also received a substantial number of fee waivers for applications. I understand that these will "expire," but will schools offer these to me again in the next cycle, with my June score? I am not so affluent and these are very important to me.

Sorry for the long post and tons of questions. I think deep down I just want someone to tell me it's gonna be ok T_T Also I need to make this huge decision by Friday in order to withdraw.

TL;DR: Don't feel prepared to take LSAT on Saturday, is it ok to wait a year even though it feels like delaying my life? + other questions

Poll
  1. Should I wait a year?20 votes
    1. Yes, you ding dong
      60.00%
    2. No, yolo
      40.00%

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited November 2017 13286 karma

29?! oh god how could you ever be so old....says the guy who is going to be 29 STARTING LAW SCHOOL. lol I won't be done with law school until I am at least 31 years old. So you shush with that age stuff haha

You should 100% postpone, and it seems like you know that. If you are dead set on top schools with scholarships you need to kill your LSAT. A 161 is a great score, but those schools want better. This alone is enough reason to continue studying away!

You can keep your letters of rec for a good long while. I've had one of mine for a year and it still is 100% good. What you can do is keep in contact with the recommender so they know you've postponed a year, that's what I did.

If your score goes up, you will get EVEN MORE fee wavers next year. Higher LSAT > Fee Waver!

One last suggestion - if you take the year off - Use that time to boost your resume! Do something new, exciting, unexpected. A year is a long time, and you can use it to help make yourself even more competitive while studying to get a higher score!

• sandypantssandypants Alum Member
    231 karma

@LSATcantwin

T_T Thank you so much! You're so right, you beautiful angel of wisdom. Sorry heh it does make me feel slightly better to know you'll be a bit older than me when you graduate.

That's great to know about the rec letters! I didn't want to impose on my dear profs to have to write them again.

I will definitely take your advice and do something exciting/interesting. I didn't think much about it because I was too busy bemoaning not starting next year, but I think there's definitely time to get into some interesting opportunities now

Before your comment I was in a puddle of sadness, but no longer! So thank you again!

• alyssamcc0593alyssamcc0593 Alum Member
    290 karma

Oh my gosh you are in the exact situation I am in! If I wait a year I am going to be 29 too. I have been struggling with the same issues too, but after having a mini panic attack and cry session early this week, I figured that I am going to postpone a year applying. My dad told me that "you shouldn't put a timeline on your dreams", and if waiting a year to start will get me to the law school I want to go to, then it is okay. Everyone is on a different path, and I need to see that.

I was set on starting in Fall 2018 as well, and had told my whole family and close friends, etc. I had already postponed a year before so I could do one more year at my current job, so that is why I was set on starting next fall. However, I took a PT on Monday and I did not do nearly as well as I wanted to.After September, I told myself I was going to study a lot for December, but life happened. I work a full time job, and work picked up and I was also so tired after studying, so I know I still have room to improve.

Monday was one of those awful days, but it made me come to the realization that waiting a year is the right thing, and that when I look back at my life, I doubt graduating law school at 29 instead of 27/28 is not going to be that big of a deal in the future. If anything preparing more and having ample time to get everything down will get me into the law school I want to get into, and will give me opportunities.

After reading a couple of discussion posts on 7sage, the key thing I took away is to take the test when you are ready no matter what age. There are people in all walks of life who go to law school, and after reading the different backgrounds people had it made me feel better.

I know its hard, and like I said I had a mini panic attack on Monday contemplating postponing a year, but in the end I think you and I will be okay and it will be for the best.

Since we are in a similar boat feel free to message me any time.

Best of luck in whatever you decide :) It will all be okay!! and you are not alone

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

There are definitely arguments to be made both ways. But age is not one of them! haha. I'm currently 33 years old and may be pushing back another year myself, haha. Re-starting my career graduating at 37 or so is daunting, but I hold firm that it's a better choice than not doing anything. I'm still too young to give up on my dreams too!

That said, if you're set on going to a top law school, it sounds like you'd be better off postponing. You'd probably need upper 160s at bare minimum and you may be a bit away from being confidently in that range. LORs are good for another year, as already mentioned. Just let your recommender know as a courtesy.

I'm kind of in a similar boat as you, but I already decided that I'm going to apply this year knowing that the offers may not be what I need to make school happen. If that's the case, I'll keep studying and re-apply next cycle too. But I've already invested a lot, so I'm throwing my hat in the ring for this year and seeing what happens.

So, I think there are arguments for either way. But if age is the biggest thing holding you back, seriously do not even worry about it a bit. You're fine! And it gives you another year to do some volunteer work or find a leadership position, something to boost your resume in the meantime.

Best wishes, whatever you decide!

edited November 2017 231 karma

@alyssamcc0593

Haha I was having my mini panic attack last night! Your dad has some good advice, I think he's spot on about that. I'm glad you were able to come to the decision that was right for you, too, and it's nice to know other people made the same decision!

At this point I've solidified my decision to wait a year. Although it's a little bit of a bummer to wait, now that it's decided it's definitely a relief and weirdly a confidence booster that I'll (hopefully) be able to achieve what I want to achieve! I think it comes from what you said, that graduating one or two years later is no biggie if you do right by yourself and achieve what you want to achieve. Thank you so much for your story!

231 karma

@"Leah M B"

You're so right! And that's awesome you're doing what you want to do even if it means beginning a new career! I talked to my mom, who is from Japan, and she said a similar thing. She reminded me that she came to the US when she was 39 and restarted her entire career from 0 in a foreign country, so she said it'll be just fine haha. I feel a bit silly in hindsight for worrying about being "too old," it just feels like such a long time from now!

Good luck with everything, and I hope you get some good offers this year :smile: