Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's read Brothers Karamazov?

NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
in General 5320 karma

I just finished it last night. How 'bout those closing arguments for the defense?? Am I right? Just poking holes all up in that prosecutor's argument like he were Zorro or something. Ahhh so good. Great book!

Comments

• JesseBearJesseBear Alum Member
    40 karma

"If God does not exist, is everything permitted?"

One of the most important moral questions, I think.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

I've actually never read Brothers Karamazov completely (only excerpts) but I am a fan of Dostoevsky. House of the Dead is one of my favorite novels of all time.

• BillGreenpointBillGreenpoint Alum Member
    318 karma

Really? I've gotta check him/it out. Out of curiosity, did you read the hard copy or the e-book?

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Dostoyevsky's the best. He even made it into an LSAT RC passage!

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@JesseBear

"If God does not exist, is everything permitted?"

One of the most important moral questions, I think.

Truly! And to that, I name drop Voltaire "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."

@BillGreenpoint
    Paperback. I always prefer the physical book!

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

We probably need a book thread on here :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@uhinberg said:
    Dostoyevsky's the best. He even made it into an LSAT RC passage!

Also a big Dostoyevsky fan. My life and my path to law school is similar to that of Raskolnikov. Just without the murder ;) Only thing I'm killing is the LSAT.

• Marco AntonioMarco Antonio Alum Member
    199 karma

I'm in the process of reading it. The Grand Inquisitor is one of the best pieces of writing I've read in my life. I started over the summer and I'm 2/3 of the way through

5320 karma

I'm in the process of reading it. The Grand Inquisitor is one of the best pieces of writing I've read in my life. I started over the summer and I'm 2/3 of the way through

i agree! many people don't like that chapter but I loved it. i think i started a year ago lol i only read a few pages each night

• sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
    1501 karma

Just ordered this book last night, thanks for the recommendation. It's been a while since I've read a good book. I think this will be a good side hobby to do when not studying the LSAT. Or parenting my 3 children, might take me 1 year to read this book haha, or 2...

5320 karma

@dytmom_3x

Just ordered this book last night, thanks for the recommendation. It's been a while since I've read a good book. I think this will be a good side hobby to do when not studying the LSAT. Or parenting my 3 children, might take me 1 year to read this book haha, or 2...

Haha! Strap yourself in! It's a beast but well worth it in my opinion!

• sschwenn17sschwenn17 Free Trial Member
    edited December 2017 8 karma

Saw the Dostoevsky reading comp passage...

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Haven't read him before. Curious now.