Sick for Dec. LSAT - Advice

__emsss____emsss__ Alum Member
in General 65 karma

So one of my worst fears came true. I caught a horrible cold right before the LSAT. My throat started to hurt Thursday, Friday my brain felt foggy all morning, and I was bed-ridden by the evening. I slept for a maximum of 4 hours because I couldn't stop coughing and my throat hurt immensely. On Saturday morning, I wasn't as bad as I was Friday evening and night but I was sick enough that I would have stayed home from work had it been a normal weekday. But, as we all know, it was not - so I wrote my LSAT in a haze of sickness and exhaustion. I know it went poorly.

I scored 3 points under my average in Sept., with a 167 (with a 3 question bubbling error ugh). I'm Canadian and need a scholarship to go to a top American uni (the Canadian dollar is very weak and our universities are just way cheaper for law, so scholarship is absolutely necessary to validate the American route). My GPA is above the median at almost all of the T14s, and I have some cool experiences under my belt, so I knew I had that if I nailed this Dec. LSAT, I would have a really good chance at a great school and $$. The Harvard dream felt almost reachable. I worked my butt off and brought up my PT average to a 172.6, with my highest PT being a 176. I felt like 10% of the anxiety that riddled me going into the week of the Sept. LSAT. I was in a place where I was ready to rock this test. But alas, sickness.

Now, my question:
Would it be at all helpful for me to go to a clinic and get a doctor's note verifying my sickness to submit along with an explanation of why my second score didn't increase to what I expected (or perhaps why it decreased [ughhhhh])? Would this be a smart thing for me to do or is it a waste of time and money (I don't have health care coverage right now)? I'm pretty positive I don't have strep and I got the flu shot a month ago so it's not the flu - it's just a stupid, inconvenient, relentless, common cold.

I'm genuinely crushed by this whole situation, so any advice is welcomed. Thanks guys.

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Really sorry this happened to you, but I don't think submitting this explanation would help your case in any way. 167 is a great placeholder to use and bounce back for the Feb test, however.

Seems like you could get money for a very good american school with your current numbers as it stands.

• __emsss____emsss__ Alum Member
    65 karma

Thanks @jkatz1488 !
    I appreciate your advice. I didn't end up getting a doctor's note - hopefully Feb makes for a better experience.