Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth writing an addendum for one bad grade?

dantlee14dantlee14 Free Trial Member

Backstory: I took multivariable calculus as a junior in high school (yeah I know, I was pretty far ahead), and skipped any math my senior year of high school to do a legal internship instead. By the time I took linear algebra my freshman year of college, it had been well over a year and a half since I had done any math, and even though linear is considered the "easy one" (at least compared to real analysis), it was by far my worst grade in college (a C+), although my grades across the board my freshman fall were pretty mediocre. It also made me remember that I absolutely hated math, and I never took another math course again. Is this something worth writing an addendum for, even though it's just one grade as opposed to say, a personal tragedy that seriously affects somebody's grades across the board for a semester?

Comments

• calcal101calcal101 Alum Member
    582 karma

I wouldn't. A single C+ in your freshman year of college (in math, especially) shouldn't be a big deal. An addendum will probably just draw attention to it.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I wouldn't do it for two reasons.
    1. It's a lone grade freshmen year
    2. I don't think learning you don't enjoy math is worth writing about. It draws attention to the fact that you've only taken that single math class, and that's how you did.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@dantlee14 said:
    Backstory: I took multivariable calculus as a junior in high school (yeah I know, I was pretty far ahead), and skipped any math my senior year of high school to do a legal internship instead. By the time I took linear algebra my freshman year of college, it had been well over a year and a half since I had done any math, and even though linear is considered the "easy one" (at least compared to real analysis), it was by far my worst grade in college (a C+), although my grades across the board my freshman fall were pretty mediocre. It also made me remember that I absolutely hated math, and I never took another math course again. Is this something worth writing an addendum for, even though it's just one grade as opposed to say, a personal tragedy that seriously affects somebody's grades across the board for a semester?

No, you probably shouldn't write an addendum for this. What would you really say to explain it anyway?

Like you said, it's just one bad grade and not a big deal. Addenda should be typically reserved for when there's a good reason (out of your control) for bad grades.