Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Write an addendum for two cancellations and an eight point score increase?

beth_1022beth_1022 Free Trial Member
edited January 2018 in Law School Admissions 8 karma

Hi everyone,

looking for advice on whether or not to write an addendum. I cancelled in Oct. 2015, got a 159 in Dec 2015, cancelled in Sept. 2017 and finally got a 167 in Dec. 2017. Should I address my score increase, cancellations, both or neither? I don't have a good reason for the cancellations besides extreme anxiety during the exams, and I don't want to make myself seem like I wouldn't be able to handle law school exams or the bar exam. But on the other hand, I feel like I can't not address the cancellations.

Anyone have any suggestions??

Thank you!

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Maybe go to the ThinkingLSAT site and send them a message. They have experience with this.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@beth_1022 I could be wrong but I don't see the need for an addendum. Anxiety and not being ready are probably the two biggest reasons ppl cancel. Your score improved because you kept studying. Makes sense to me. Maybe it depends on the schools you're applying to ?

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I think at some schools an addendum would be a good idea. I also have an 8 point increase and some schools ask for one if your increase is more than 6. Others in the Top 14 claim they will average if you don't offer a reason not to.

Most people don't believe these claims they will average or that they need to submit an addendum, but I did not feel comfortable blatantly ignoring the school's advice and not submitting one. As long as it is short and sweet an addendum should not hurt.

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    edited January 2018 1617 karma

It depends on the school. For >T14, I think they're just happy with your higher score. I believe it's Columbia (srsly don't quote me on it I'm not applying yet) that requires an addendum for such a high score increase.

If you don't feel you have a reason for one, I wouldn't submit one unless a school directly says they factor it in (like @"Seeking Perfection" said, better safe than sorry).