Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Submitting apps now, December LSAT score results pending

law_schoolguy42law_schoolguy42 Free Trial Member

Two questions. I have my apps ready to go and I've been submitting them over the past few days to many T-20's. I took the LSAT yesterday and I believe I scored at least 3 points higher(+/- 5) than September.

First: Do I need to email the schools and tell them to hold off on reviewing my app until scores arrive? Most schools seem to take over a month to render a decision and even longer to waitlist/deny. Would it be safe to just send the apps and count on my scores being in before they review my app?

Second: Is it alright to send an additional addendum after you have submitted an application? If My score increases by more than 5 points I would like to explain the reason behind the increase.
Thanks everyone for the advice!

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@law_schoolguy42 said:
    First: Do I need to email the schools and tell them to hold off on reviewing my app until scores arrive? Most schools seem to take over a month to render a decision and even longer to waitlist/deny. Would it be safe to just send the apps and count on my scores being in before they review my app?

It depends on whether your September score is sufficient or not. You can email them, but they might evaluate your app based based on your September score. If you don’t want them to do so, I think it’s safer for you to wait until you have the score you want.

Second: Is it alright to send an additional addendum after you have submitted an application? If My score increases by more than 5 points I would like to explain the reason behind the increase.

I don’t think you need an addendum for your score increase. Your score increase shows that you’re capable, and it’s not something you should be explaining.

• law_schoolguy42law_schoolguy42 Free Trial Member
    edited December 2017 22 karma

@akistotle said:
    I don’t think you need an addendum for your score increase. Your score increase shows that you’re capable, and it’s not something you should be explaining.

The problem with my September score is that it is the same score as I received in June. Both scores well below my PT average. I basically had anxiety attacks both times and didn't finish all the sections. For this test I learned meditation and was able to control the attacks and finish all the sections, leading to what I'm hoping is a 170+ score. I think it is important to explain that this new score isn't a fluke and that there was actually a reason my previous 2 scores were so low.

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

You can definitely attach an addendum to your applications after they have been sent in. In your case (because of the anxiety attacks, I would encourage you to do so).

I would add an addendum saying that your June and September scores are not representative of your true ability because of test anxiety. And then say that you are going to be retaking in December. This way of framing it is open-ended, such that it doesn't matter if you score higher in December or not, but you have already explained the circumstances of your previous test scores. (This was a recommendation of a law admissions consultant that I have been talking to.)

I have been in the same boat: submitting applications with pending December scores. A school will likely not review your application if there is a pending score without asking your first (but I sent emails to their admissions offices asking them anyway and also saying like "hey, please don't review it just yet", just to do my due diligence). But they might ask you if you want them to review the application anyway.

Now, this is up to you. Because you do get a bonus by asking them to review your application earlier rather than later. However, if you get a much higher score in December but you told them to review it based on your previous score and they reject you, there really isn't any way to go back from that.

I would send in an addendum to the application and also either 1. ask them to hold it until December, or 2. if you feel like you can get into the school with your first score, you could have them review it later and then negotiate with a higher December score.

For one school I applied to, even without the December score, they did a preliminary review of my application now anyway despite the pending score (probably just to get a feel for their application pool), but I know that not all school's do this. Some only review an application once. But given the option, I asked all of my schools to table my application until my December score comes in because it's probably going to be substantially higher.

• law_schoolguy42law_schoolguy42 Free Trial Member
    22 karma

@"nicolas.saw" said:
    You can definitely attach an addendum to your applications after they have been sent in. In your case (because of the anxiety attacks, I would encourage you to do so).

I would add an addendum saying that your June and September scores are not representative of your true ability because of test anxiety. And then say that you are going to be retaking in December. This way of framing it is open-ended, such that it doesn't matter if you score higher in December or not, but you have already explained the circumstances of your previous test scores. (This was a recommendation of a law admissions consultant that I have been talking to.)

I have been in the same boat: submitting applications with pending December scores. A school will likely not review your application if there is a pending score without asking your first (but I sent emails to their admissions offices asking them anyway and also saying like "hey, please don't review it just yet", just to do my due diligence). But they might ask you if you want them to review the application anyway.

Now, this is up to you. Because you do get a bonus by asking them to review your application earlier rather than later. However, if you get a much higher score in December but you told them to review it based on your previous score and they reject you, there really isn't any way to go back from that.

I would send in an addendum to the application and also either 1. ask them to hold it until December, or 2. if you feel like you can get into the school with your first score, you could have them review it later and then negotiate with a higher December score.

For one school I applied to, even without the December score, they did a preliminary review of my application now anyway despite the pending score (probably just to get a feel for their application pool), but I know that not all school's do this. Some only review an application once. But given the option, I asked all of my schools to table my application until my December score comes in because it's probably going to be substantially higher.

Thank you! That is really helpful!