Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Difference between Weakening and Flaw Answer Choices

batniki1batniki1 Alum Member

Hi Guys,

I just have a question for weakening / flaw answer choices. Although there is some over lap between the two, I know that they are distinct and I understand how to approach them differently. However, sometimes I have difficulty distinguishing the KEY difference between their answer choices. For example, if a answer choice in a weakening questions presents a flaw can that be the right answer choice? In other words, what are they key differences in their respected answer choices.

Thanks,
Nas

Comments

• doyouevenLSATdoyouevenLSAT Core Member
    edited December 2017 609 karma

for flaw i go with 7sages tips 1) descriptively accurate and describes the flaw. For weakening the answer choices can be something that was omitted (variable C could have cause), or something new can be explained.

for a long time when i was starting out i didnt get why JY was saying some answer choices could be the right answer choices for different questions, but once i started seeing them over and over i knew what he meant. Like for weakening answer choices that do something else such as, there can be strengthening or describing the flaw, but what your're looking for is what hurts the support. Even though it describes the flaw it did not "Weaken" the argument.

Essentially, weakening you have to see how the premises support the conclusion and if any AC casts doubt or damages the premises.

I basically did high-volume of Weakening and drilling for all question types allowed me more familiar with the wrong ones.