Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Advice About Canceling

sunflowersandlawsunflowersandlaw Alum Member
in General 360 karma

I took the December test this last Saturday, and my testing center was a complete nightmare. I won't go into the details, but to just kind of put things into perspective - I had the book on my lap, pencils between my thighs, curled up trying to take a test on a table that was the size of my palm. The door was making this consistent squeaking noise for the entire 5 hours (it was defective, wouldn't close so it squeaked). I lost my train of thought every other sentence so I had my fingers closing my ears for most of the test. To make matters worse, the proctor was laughing at the entire situation.
I feel like I know the answer to this question already, but I'm wondering if I should cancel or not...

I took the test in September, and did not do as great as I could have (149). After September, I was pting at 160-164 right up until the December test.

If I don't get my desired score/canceling, I'll be taking the test in February but applying for the next cycle.

Should I cancel my score? Would 3 scores look bad if I don't?

Help :(

Comments

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I'm not sure.

If you got a better score than your old one you probably shouldn't cancel. If you got a worse score you probably should. You can't know whether your score is better or worse though so you have to make a judgement call knowing that a high score will help much more than a low score will hurt.

Did you finish every section or did these distractions cause you to not finish sections you ordinarilly do complete?

What you can and should do regardless of whether you cancel is practice for your retake in a less than optimal environment. Many people find that if they can do PTs in a coffee shop, that adequately prepares them for any test day distractions. I did many of mine in the section of my university library where I could here people chattering about everything from their lives to politics and most of the rest at my family's kitchen table where I could hear my parents cooking and talking.

If squeaking soumds bother you, practice with a tape of them playing in the background.

• StothentothekStothentothek Free Trial Member
    69 karma

I concur! Practicing with moderate noise pollution is a life saver. I hope you put in a complaint about the test center, so lsac is aware that it was less than suitable. I can't speak to cancelling with certainty, but if you think you did better on this one than your last, I wouldn't cancel.

• sunflowersandlawsunflowersandlaw Alum Member
    360 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    I'm not sure.

If you got a better score than your old one you probably shouldn't cancel. If you got a worse score you probably should. You can't know whether your score is better or worse though so you have to make a judgement call knowing that a high score will help much more than a low score will hurt.

Did you finish every section or did these distractions cause you to not finish sections you ordinarilly do complete?

What you can and should do regardless of whether you cancel is practice for your retake in a less than optimal environment. Many people find that if they can do PTs in a coffee shop, that adequately prepares them for any test day distractions. I did many of mine in the section of my university library where I could here people chattering about everything from their lives to politics and most of the rest at my family's kitchen table where I could hear my parents cooking and talking.

If squeaking soumds bother you, practice with a tape of them playing in the background.

I guess I didn't make it sound as bad as it actually was, but I'm pretty good with distractions.. This was just awful. I lost my train of thought consistently, so I'm not sure. It's one of those situations where I am honestly not sure how I did because my focus was not entirely there to begin with. I didn't finish the last game (but guessed) and skipped the first rc passage (but guessed). So, not sure again. In a tough position.

• StothentothekStothentothek Free Trial Member
    69 karma

too bad cancelling AFTER your score isn't a thing....

• sunflowersandlawsunflowersandlaw Alum Member
    360 karma

@Stothentothek said:
    too bad cancelling AFTER your score isn't a thing....

Right?! Or, if anything, I wish schools weren't able to see all your scores.