Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nerves starting the test...does it ever get better?

lsat 1101lsat 1101 Alum Member
edited December 2017 in General 267 karma

Hi I just took the lsat on Saturday, I had also taken my first one last June. I'm wondering if others get as nervous as I do when first starting the test, and also blank out momentarily. Just feeling everyone scrambling to start the test, I have a hard time understanding the first few questions. I think it lasted the whole section honestly.. I finally eased into it more by the second section. I thought I wouldn't feel this way on my second try at this test. I had three LR sections, I'm not sure if it was because my first one was experimental or not but either way it really go to me.

The first time I took it the room was small and I was crammed against other test takers and could hear their pencils scribbling furiously...it was all really distracting. I also didn't know that those sitting next to me were working on different sections so I thought I was behind, I felt a heat inside my head and chest and my brain went numb, like I couldn't understand what I was reading at all. Later on I took the same ptest at home and performed much better, in total disbelief that I'd missed so many questions due to nerves. This time (Saturday) the room was much larger, I had a corner seat so at least no one sitting on one side, and knew the person next to me was working on different sections from me so it didn't matter when they turned pages...but still, I was very nervous starting out even though I've practiced taking deep breaths.

Also I feel I had had enough practice of logic games from 1-81 with the help of 7sage and been exposed to enough weird games to feel confident, but still ran into some games on this recent test that I didn't know how to set up effectively. Did this happen to anyone else?

Comments

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

Nerves improve when you become more confident in your skills. Diaphragm breathing, box breathing, and meditation help too.

• lsat 1101lsat 1101 Alum Member
    267 karma

thank you, i thought they would too, i felt considerably more confident this time around and got better at problems, but all that went out the window with the first few problems when starting the test, my eyesight just gets blurry and I feel like I'm about to pass out.

• seharris14seharris14 Alum Member
    100 karma

Oh, blurry eyesight? I am so sorry to hear that. I would suggest trying to change your mindset a bit. In addition to deep breathing, it can be helpful to think to yourself, "I have prepared for this day" or "I have done my best up to this point, now it's time to show them what I can do." Beyond that, just take it one question at a time. Someone who scored a 180 on the LSAT wrote that she thought of test day like a wedding day, because it's nerve- wracking yet also exciting, and it's the first step of a path you've chosen and which is an exciting endeavor ahead of you.

I'm not sure how this might help at all, as I know we are after test day now. But try not to worry! You have done what you could, and it sounds like you worked hard to prepare. Worrying now won't help, and before you know it you'll know your score.

I wish you the best! Stay encouraged

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

So before the exam last Saturday I went to the bathroom and dry-heaved over a toilet for about 5 minutes. I was so nervous. Heart bumping out of my chest and whatnot.

But as soon as I started the exam, all the nerves went away. It felt like routine. It felt comfortable.

I've done over 50 PTs, and at this point taking the LSAT actually feels "like home" in a way (which I know sounds weird).

Perhaps more familiarity with the test and really getting comfortable PTing could alleviate some of that anxiety.

Also my eyes would also start to go blurry while taking the exam, but I think that's just because my eyes would be tired. I picked up some low-magnification reading glasses specifically for the LSAT, and they helped my eyesight remain sharp throughout the whole 4 hours.

• Logic GainzLogic Gainz Alum Member
    700 karma

You need a test taking game plan. One you can follow regardless of your emotional state of mind. I personally get sweaty like I'm in the middle of a marathon. It's gross. I watched a JY video, and I've copied his time management protocols to a tee and now I'm cool as a cucumber. Here try this; next time you take a test, start with question 1 like you would any other. Read it, and if you don't understand what you read, read it again. If you don't understand it a second time, circle it and move on. Do this with question 2. Read it. Say you gleaned the meaning from the stimulus, but then freak out when you get to the questions, and can't find the correct answer. Guess what... circle it and move on. Do this enough, and your sheer movement through the test will break your anxiety because you'll be following a game plan and that'll make you feel confident. Why are you not understanding the questions? It'll probably be due to your anxiety, but that'll dissipate, AND furthermore, it really doesn't matter. If I read a stimulus, and don't understand, whether it was because of my nerves, the dude coughing down my elbow next to me, or the bird outside, it doesn't matter. If I follow protocol, that pre-determined plan will help me get into that LSAT mindset that'll puts me in control of this test. Idk, that worked for me. Also meditation helps, so keep that up. I promise you'll see improvements with focus.

267 karma

Logic Gainz, Paul and Seharris I just want to say a very very overdue Thank You so much for all your advice and feedback. I found each so valuable and it means so much to me, thank you for your help

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    edited January 2018 3788 karma

Hey! For me, the environment doesnt effect me so much as the test itself. The fact that im taking an official take and the fact that question stem or stimulus is written slightly different would trip me up. I remember in the December LSAT the question for some strengthen questions sounded devilishly similar to most strongly supported questions.

267 karma

thank you westcoastbest for your feedback, I understand what you mean. I'm still left wondering if the vey first section which felt weird to me was experimental or just nerves from working on the first section. as logic gainz has said, having a plan is helpful and his plan seems like a good one, better than the one i had which was that i had to get the first ten in ten minutes correct, meanwhile maybe it's better to skip ahead since it's more likelyl that harder questions will be earlier in the section on recent tests.