Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Addendum Help

JerryClarke242JerryClarke242 Alum Member
edited December 2017 in General 602 karma

Hi everyone,
Would any of you mind giving advice for an LSAT score addendum? I would like to complete it asap, and I have no idea what to do. I got a 13 point increase, and although I am not happy with my score there are some conditional acceptance programs that I may be eligible for. I am prepared to resume studying for the LSAT again as soon as Christmas is over in the event that I am rejected from the program.

Comments

• michelle901michelle901 Alum Member
    64 karma

What exactly were you trying to explain on your addendum? The 13 point increase? Usually addendum's for LSAT scores are to explain a low score or score decease, but a 13 point increase is defintley something to be proud of!

• JerryClarke242JerryClarke242 Alum Member
    602 karma

That i worked really hard to get what I got even though, objectively, speaking it's a low score and is far from my potential. The program gives people a chance with low LSAT scores but a decent GPA a chance to prove themselves.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@JayClarke242 said:
    That i worked really hard to get what I got even though, objectively, speaking it's a low score and is far from my potential. The program gives people a chance with low LSAT scores but a decent GPA a chance to prove themselves.

Do you have a history of low standardized test scores? If so, you may be able to explain that your standardized test scores aren't indicative of your abilities as a student.

• JerryClarke242JerryClarke242 Alum Member
    602 karma

I took the SAT twice, got 1200 and then 1350, so I guess I do.

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@JayClarke242 said:

Do you have a history of low standardized test scores? If so, you may be able to explain that your standardized test scores aren't indicative of your abilities as a student.

Alex and Dudley make great points. There are two reasons to write an LSAT addendum:
    1. If one score is much lower than the other (which is the case for you), then admissions readers will probably wonder why one is so much lower. Maybe it's because of test anxiety or because you were sick (I wrote an LSAT addendum for this reason because a hurricane hit my house a few days before the test). OR
    2. If you believe that, in general, the LSAT is not a good indicator of your potential as a law student and lawyer. This may be because of text anxiety or background or other reasons.

It sounds like both of these might be the case for you. I believe there is a way that you can write your addendum that illustrates both of these. Above all, I would phrase this addendum in a way that is objective, concise, and evidence-based. Here is a potential outline I might recommend.

"LSAT Addendum: I do not believe that my LSAT scores accurately represent my abilities to succeed as a lawyer and law school student. I have had testing anxiety [or "testing performance issues", if you want to be broad] throughout my educational career (low scores on my SAT: 1200 and 1350) which has impacted my testing ability. [And then, if this is the case, you can mention another reason, like coming from a kind of background that might impact your testing abilities--you could add that here]. In addition, during the September LSAT [or June? Whenever you took it first], my score was 13 points lower than in December because of X, Y, and Z. Please consider my application in light of these circumstances."

@JayClarke242 If you want me to take a look at your addendum before your submit it and give notes, I'd be happy to! I work in college admissions. Just DM me. :)